Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water tank feed shutoff valve stuck? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fredle

Hi,

I would like to replace a hot water pipe in the property that is corroded. Unfortunately when I try to close off the valve that feeds the hot water tank, it turns about 1/10th of a turn but no more. It is not stiff, it just seems this is the limit of the valve, however it is not affecting the water flow. Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

welcome along fredle. is it a gate valve with a red wheel on top? most likely just stuck with age, you can free them easily with an adjustable spanner. you take the handle off by removing the little nut on the top, then removing the handle then you will see a square profile which the handle went on to, use the adjustables to give a bit more leverage to try and turn the spindle-not too much elbow grease though or you may snap the valve internals.

alternatively partially drain down and change the valve for a new lever ball valve. whichever you feel comfortable with.

Ok thank you, it is as you suggest a gate valve with a red wheel.

My concern was that it feels loose but then just stops which suggested it was terminating at a defined point by design.

I will try with an adjustable to get more leverage, however if I were to snap the internals have I actually lost anything? I would have to change the valve anyway right? Could I cause a catastrophic leak if i broke the valve?

Hi fredle, if it does snap you haven`t lost anything as it will snap internally therefore it will not cause a leak. The only thing I will add to Steveb advice is work the stem anticlockwise & clockwise a few times as this can cause the stem to "unstick".

The 1/10th movement you mention is just the "backlash" in the threaded part as you say the actually valve isn`t moving to alter the flow of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water tank feed shutoff valve stuck? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock