Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Hot water pump for shower advice in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Benwhitmore

Benwhitmore New Member

hi. I need to increase the hot water pressure on my vented gravity fed system. All the cold taps, including my bath mixer taps are fed from the mains (not the header tank). If I put a 3bar pump (with a Surrey flange) on my hot water side could I have issues on my mixer taps? I have been told pressurising only the hot water could force hot water in the cold pipe on my mixer taps. Thanks for any advice. Ps, has anyone used the Salamander CT Force pump range?

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Have you any idea what yours mains pressure is , you cant guess , you need a gauge or a plumbing pal with one .
    You wont need a 3 bar pump , all you are trying to do is get a better flow 1.5 bar are spot on .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Benwhitmore

Benwhitmore New Member

Thanks for the reply :)
    I haven't measured my cold water pressure but I could start asking around if that is essential. The flow is ok-ish from the hot taps but not enough to feed the shower head (about 1m above bath mixer tap)
    I have been looking at the Salamander CT Force 30 PS pump as i want to boost the whole house on the hot water side (2 hot taps and 1 bath/shower mixer in the house). Even though I do have a positive head for the pump its only about 40cm (cold tank sits directly above my cylinder in the loft) so im hoping this pump will be ok, the alternative is a CT Force 30 SU for negative head systems.

4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The reason I mentioned your cold water pressure is important if its high , it will always cause problems at any mixer tap .
    Pumping the whole house is also not needed , the shower is , do you realy want a pumped basin tap ? .
    Your pump will need the correct outlet not just off the vent pipe .

5. Benwhitmore

Benwhitmore New Member

Id be happy to pump just the shower but finding the pipe would be a nightmare..unless there are some magic skills to do that without lifting the chipboard floor? Then again, it wouldnt be beyond impossible to drop a new pipe from the loft into the bathroom...got me thinking :) Just seen the water pressure testers are only £10 so might go and get me one. Thanks!

6. SalamanderPumps

SalamanderPumps New Member

Hi, our technical team PumpWise are able to help you specify exactly which pump you need for your situation. If you could give them a call on 0191 516 2002 they will be happy to help. Thanks.