Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Not Working Cold only on bottom floors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
You've probably heard this a thousand times in the last week but I have a cold/hot water supply issue..

We have no water to any taps on second floor (top). Cold water only to taps on first and ground floors.
The hot water tank in the bathroom (first floor) is gravity fed from a tank in the roof space of the second floor.

Does this mean we have two seperate supplies? As why else would we be getting cold water on the bottom floors but not the top?

We have 40cm of snow and I forgot where the mains supply is outside so not going to be easy to locate. Any ideas?

Likely someone will need to get up in the loft and see if anything is frozen. See if the ball valve in the tank is allowing water through. Likely downstairs is off mains and bathroom and hot water is off tank

I have checked the tank and the pipes in the loft and although they feel cold they don't seem frozen. I will go check the ball valve now.

i had a fiddle with the ball valve and it didn't seem to be the problem. Wondering if it might help if I put the heating up and see if I can thaw out the problem?

Is it a dumb question but the pipes from the hot water tank are hot; are they not feeding the central heating radiators with hot water and if so couldn't they feed the hot water from the taps? Probably totally idiotic question.

The pipes going through the cylinder coil are from the central heating. They will warm the water contained in the cylinder

The water from your cylinder only supplies hot water for washing and bathing to taps and showers and is not connected to the heating system (radiators). It's not a stupid question if you don't have any plumbing knowledge.

It seems to me that you have some pipes frozen somewhere, which is causing this.

When they thaw and the taps start running again, I would keep a close eye on the pipe runs, if they are visible, or just generally keep a keen eye out for leaks or damp patches throughout the house, just in case the freeze-up has damaged a pipe somewhere.

Also, as soon as the snow reduces a bit, find that stop-tap to isolate the whole house, and be ready to use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Not Working Cold only on bottom floors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock