Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Boiler Controls - What happens when tank is full? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have previously had a combi, moved and now have a regular boiler with hot water and heating controls but now its summer I have turned heating off. Hot water still comes on for 1.5hours a day. However there are only 2-3 of us having one shower a day.

The question is, if I have a hot water tank and this gets full of hot water, would the boiler turn itself off, or would it continue to heat water and if so, what then happens?

Asked a few people (family and friends) and no-one seems to have a clue.

There should be a thermostat on the tank. Once the water reaches the set temperature the thermostat contacts open, and cut off power to the boiler which then stops burning. Its normally a white rectangular "box" and should be about 1/3rd the way up the tank.

You may also have an electric immersion heater. Treat this for emergencies (e.g. broken boiler) only as it costs about 3 times as much to heat water with electricity compared with gas. Should be a switch at the end of the cable from the immersion (may be top or bottom mounted to the cylinder). Make sure its "off".

Perfect thanks. So I know I am not wasting money on gas should I keep the hot water controls on for an hour or so more than required.

Might be worth getting somebody to check out the tank stat. Or wait till it's on and turn the stat right down and see if it knocks boiler off.

OK the tank temperature gauge 65c and is Honeywell, same as the boiler control so looks like they work together and must cut off the boiler when not needed.

The immersion heater control is off :)

Thanks again.

Once the tank gets hot. The boiler will switch off. But if someone has a bath or shower inside the 1 & 1/2 hours your have the boiler on for the boiler will fire and heat the water again.

Hope this helps:);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Boiler Controls - What happens when tank is full? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a Nest controller. I’m familiar with the old gravity and pumped hot water systems and the new direct systems but not with sealed systems. Recently...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock