Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water and heating on a narrow boat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi chaps. I have put this in the gas safe forum even though it's not to do with gas.

A friend bought a narrow boat that had an old LPG boiler in it. Apparently these are very expensive to run so he has been given advice by others to install a solid fuel back boiler.

Now the old set up was gravity with a horizontal cylinder or calorifier which had the tappings for the boiler on one side and some other tappings on the other side. From what I have read this might have been from the engine. But to be honest I don't have a clue. I have attached a picture below. Also this had a prv on it but cannot be sealed with a solid fuel appliance so needs a vent and f&e.

Now, a guy there seems to think it Will be ok to turn this cylinder upright and use it. I don't know how the coils run in the cylinder so am not sure. I also cannot find any info on the cylinder either.

If anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful.

Cheers chaps.

20171109_154837(0).jpg

20171109_155050.jpg

20171109_154831.jpg

Morning chaps. Anyone on here do LPG on boats that can offer some advice about the cylinder above and if I could potentially use it in a vertical position and even with solid fuel back boiler. CheerS

I wouldn't say it's rated for solid fuel

I wouldn't say it's rated for solid fuel

So do you get cylinders for solid fuel then? I have looked on Google, on narrow boat forums but cannot find much info to be honest with you.

I also don't think a horizontal cylinder can be installed vertically due to issues with stratification. That's why we have the two different kinds isn't it? Or am I talking sxxxe

Yea there made out of a thicker material (old grade 1)

And spot on

Correct can't be plastic with solid fuel tbh I don't like sealing them either much prefer good old f and e tank

Think you can with a h2 panel but your starting to get out of my knowledge dept :D

@Best probably will know

Jesus.
A small floating vessel, and you are Soding about with a solid fuel boiler, abut which you don't have a clue. Get it wrong and they are deadly.
Why is there a PRV on what should (by all appearances) be a vented cylinder?
Explosions and CO are not to be encouraged.

He he. That cylinder got taken out as.it was the old one that went with the prv. Don't worry mate, there will not be any explosions here. That's what all the questions are for.

Stove being fitted by boat owner. I am just doing the wet side. Looking at using a copper kettle as the feed and expansion tank. Seen em on you tube

FWIW millions of boats have solid fuel boilers :rolleyes:

First, is there a proper electrical supply?

The reason I'm asking is cos if there isn't, and there is ANY chance of it working whilst the power is off, then it must be piped so you have an appropriate fall from the last rad (or coil) back to the boiler to guarantee appropriate flow. Frankly, that not particularly easy on a boat and neith is siting the F & E tank so there is an appropriate head.

Many have diesel water heaters and use a wood burner for heating. Personally, that would be my choice as its ultimately less problematic as well as safer and more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water and heating on a narrow boat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock