Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrickb

Hi, My name is Patrick, I've never posted before, I could really use some help, any suggestions anyone can give me would be much appreciated. Cylinder is on the first floor, first floor taps are getting airlocked pretty much daily. Homeowners are currently clearing the airlock by running a downstairs tap. Airlock forms when there is a period of inactivity - no hot water draw off for 4/5 hours and first floor taps slow to barely a trickle then stop. System was installed 18 to 24 months ago, not by me, and has never really worked properly but they've put up with it for now. Current owners are moving out and don't want to pass on problems to new owners, but aren't going to spend loads on a whole new system. Shower pump (Essex flange) feeds two bath shower mixers and works fine. I've checked water isnt getting drawn down the expansion when there is a tap open (measuring jug filled with water over the end). There isn't a 1 metre gap between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the cistern (750mm and that's being generous) and expansion pipe elbows off where it goes in to the ceiling and god knows what else on its convoluted path to the tank. Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation that doesn't involve major work? I appreciate its not the right way of doing things, but would an aav somewhere help, or putting a Surrey flange in the top of the cylinder for the un-pumped taps? Can I put all the hot water on the pump and just have the vent coming out the top of the cylinder? Will post some photos asap. 20170209_133059.jpg
20170209_133140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All wrong wants ripping out and starting again by a qualified plumber

All wrong wants ripping out and starting again by a qualified plumber

I appreciate it is a mess, it's not something I know much about. I pretty much do only boiler repairs/service/certs (my gs number is 546456 if that makes a difference), that is why I'm asking for help.

I appreciate it is a mess, it's not something I know much about. I pretty much do only boiler repairs/service/certs (my gs number is 546456 if that makes a difference), that is why I'm asking for help.

That what needs to happen sorry esp the shower pump and piped right

I wish I could help but as per usual I cannot open the photos.

Poor last does it only happen on your phone / pc if pc what browsers you using

Mine works if I right click and select "Open in new tab." If that works and you see the state of the cylinder you'll wish you couldn't see it! It's an abomination.

LOL.
that really did make me laugh out loud !

Poor last does it only happen on your phone / pc if pc what browsers you using

Google chrome on PC

What's wrong with it Shaun?

I've tried doing what Stigster said

I've tried different browsers.

I'm fed up with it.

Still double posing, still takes for ever to post anything.

I don't know if anyone else has this trouble but I have to wait for ages and then i'm asked if I want to leave the page before it will post

Last edited:
Google chrome on PC

I'm fed up with it.

I don't know if anyone else has this trouble but I have to wait for ages and then i'm asked if I want to leave the page before it will post

I have got the same issue ... double posts and takes ages to upload stuff.. but I can still see pics :)

Google chrome on PC

I'm fed up with it.

I have got the same issue ... double posts and takes ages to upload stuff.. but I can still see pics :)

I sometimes can see one photo if I click onto it, but then if any next photos, I get refused permission to view! Weird!
When I post on the forum, if it is slow to post, then it then double posts, - but I immediately press EDIT and then DELETE thread option and then click the small box beside the word DELETE.

Stigster !

You were right. I managed to open it and now I wish I hadn't.

It's awful.

To the OP. Rip it out and start again ( plumbing )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock