Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Valve Blanking Cap, Best Tool For Tightening. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

farmgate

Hello,

Just thought to ask my first question.

Which type of tool would be best to use for tightening the brass blanking cap that goes on the hot valve connection?

Reason I am fitting the cap is due to purchasing a new washing machine, and as you know they come as cold fill only, and of course it's wise not to just have the hot valve turned off, but to also have a cap fitted too.

The cap is the normal size apparently but after measuring it looks like I need at least a 29 to 30mm spanner.

I can post a picture of the brass cap if needed.

Any help much appreciated.

what i would use is two sets of adjustables, one on the body of the valve to hold it steady and the other to tighten the end cap. Probably good idea to use a bit of ptfe tape around the thread to make sure of no leaks.

what i would use is two sets of adjustables, one on the body of the valve to hold it steady and the other to tighten the end cap. Probably good idea to use a bit of ptfe tape around the thread to make sure of no leaks.

Thanks for your reply.

You mean wrap it round the thread as in the picture below?

gjenge10.jpg

Here is the cap in question below.

capsvq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have a rubber washer that goes inside the cap, it seals against the valve.

Yes, I have a washer in the cap I bought today which looks the same as the picture I provided, apart from that the washer isn't showing.

If I just tighten the cap with the washer inside, will that be enough do you think? or should I still need to use the tape?

No just the washer and then I just tighten with my teeth,habit I got from my pipefitting days :D

No just the washer and then I just tighten with my teeth,habit I got from my pipefitting days :D

Oh I see, just that steveb suggested I use some ptfe tape to secure in case of leaks.

By the way the washer in the cap is like a normal washer, just that I saw a similar cap, and the washer in that one didn't have the hole in the middle.

Also what spanner size would fit that would you reckon?

Oh I see, just that steveb suggested I use some ptfe tape to secure in case of leaks.

By the way the washer in the cap is like a normal washer, just that I saw a similar cap, and the washer in that one didn't have the hole in the middle.

Also what spanner size would fit that would you reckon?
24 mm combination spanner I think

get good adjustable teeth on it just like puddles:D

by the way, dont use an ordinary washer with the hole as it will let by.

Attachments

• face_lift3.jpg
    face_lift3.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 23
get good adjustable teeth on it just like puddles:D

by the way, dont use an ordinary washer with the hole as it will let by.

It only came with the hole type washer, where do you get these other type

it will!!!!!!!! did one last week.
i may have overtightened slightly tho':eek:
we no longer have leaks weve followed the lead of the goverment and iradicated all leaks how ever we now have had a rise in incidents of temporary fluid displacement but at least we have no leaks

I am really confused now as to whether to use the washer that came with the cap that has the hole in the centre, or try and get one without the hole.

Surely if it's hand tightened properly and with the valve also turned off, this surely should be enough to stop any water leakage from the hot water pipe valve.

Why not try it and see ?

I tried it and works well.

My last question on this is the washers that fit on each end of the hoses, on my red hose the washer on the end that fits in the valve end for the hose, does it matter which way the washer fits in, as I noticed both sides on the washer look slightly different.

Sorry for asking questions you may find amusing, but I just want to get things right.

Sorry I forgot to ask, if I wanted to blank the cold valve too until delivery of the new machine so as to clean round the back, is the cap the same one to use as the one I used to cap off the hot valve?

I ask as the cold pipe will have a stronger pressure.

Just saw a post about all this, and this guy recommends he cut the pipe, have a look and tell me what you think.

Blanking cap, W/M valve

and here is the 323 stop end he refers to.

Conex Stop End 323 28mm - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

If you look at the washer one side should have " washing machine side " printed on it.

Are you having a laugh??

Why do I get the feeling you are taking the P***

:mad:

And when connecting washing machine hose to valve make sure you use the washer with a hole,otherwise you will have to get some dry cleaning fluid to put in the machine :p

I was really looking forward to reading the " i've looked but I cant see any writing " post, never mind.

I was really looking forward to reading the " i've looked but I cant see any writing " post, never mind.

And I was looking for some serious discussion, but it seems I've come to the wrong place....never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Valve Blanking Cap, Best Tool For Tightening. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock