Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Hot tap no water

Discussion in 'Valves & Taps' started by karlhayes, Jul 14, 2012.

Discuss Hot tap no water in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. karlhayes

karlhayes Guest

my hot tap in the bathroom will turn but no water will come out all other taps both h&c all work fine any ideas please ?

2. galaxy_plumbing

galaxy_plumbing Plumber GSR

seized tap maybe..shut the water, remove valve body and check if is working as it should. It could be a blockage too but i think you would get at least some drip from it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mickyplumb

Mickyplumb Guest

If it's a BS5412 valve, i.e not rising spindle then once you remove the head, check to see if you have the circlip still stuck on the spindle.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

On the old design taps that are basically a screw that moves a washer up & down, then washer could be stuck, - renew it.
    If it is more modern design then it could still be washer, but also could be works disconnected. As said, check circlip, but could be the common problem of wear on the O rings inside the works, that means water enters into the part the threaded bit goes. This is often on hot taps due to heat. Remove the works, take clip off, ( the works are in 3 parts), tap spindle out, screw spindle apart, & as you probably won't be able to match the O rings exactly, just clean & grease with Vaseline or silicone grease, & put together & refit. May last reasonably well. If you could get a new spindle with same splines to suit tap head, then often better a new one.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. spanner

spanner Plumber GSR

If the taps are just ordinary standard BS1010 turning on/off taps, you'll probably find the spindle (which has a left hand thread) has probably come loose in the tap body and stuck down..Just as galaxy has said and dont forget to replace the rubber washer.. Good Luck PaL