Search the forum,

Discuss Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

One other thing, if the pump was stuck but the rads get hot upstairs because the hot water rises, why is the return pipe still piping hot?

One other thing, if the pump was stuck but the rads get hot upstairs because the hot water rises, why is the return pipe still piping hot?
The pump could be spinning but not on full rate. Modern pumps are supposed to modulate dependant on demand.

so all your down stairs rads arnt working

The pump could be spinning but not on full rate. Modern pumps are supposed to modulate dependant on demand.

I see, it still just seems strange how it cuts off at heating all radiators upstairs perfectly but none of the downstairs ones at all, they arent even luke warm. They are ice cold yet the return pipe to the boiler is super hot.

If your engineer cannot fix it, tell him you want him to book a warranty call from Vaillant.

I see, it still just seems strange how it cuts off at heating all radiators upstairs perfectly but none of the downstairs ones at all, they arent even luke warm. They are ice cold yet the return pipe to the boiler is super hot.
I cannot say any more. Really sorry mate. Your engineer should know what to look at on the boiler.

Will do.

No worries I appreciate your help on this anyway, I'll update what it was once we've had it looked at.

Thanks again
That would be awesome mate. It’s always nice to get some feedback. It’s easy to forget us once it’s been fixed. UNTIL NEXT TIME ;);)

I am hoping that is the case, shelled out a lot of money for it and don't want to spend even more on additional work!

easy way to tell if its blocked but requires removal of a rad

remove a rad and test if you have water coming out of each valve from the rad you removed if you have its not blocked

All goes into the mixer mate. Always worth pointing out.
Most of the new valiant boilers you can on the boiler Display give so many KW to heating and hot water just check this . if the heating has not been used in summer most times the pump gets stuck free this up with big screwdriver I have also seen the nut behind the chrome screw on pump turn but the impeller stays put? As with Most of the new Boilers Valiant. Glow- worm. Worchester 30 CDI you can Map the Pump you should look at this as well . I think you should be ok if you are only touching the wet side of system To put it another way if AAV went in boiler and water flooding every were and in order to stop this you could turn off isolation valves I know what I would do

He cannot legally take the case of the boiler and integral pump no longer work like that.

Most of the new valiant boilers you can on the boiler Display give so many KW to heating and hot water just check this . if the heating has not been used in summer most times the pump gets stuck free this up with big screwdriver I have also seen the nut behind the chrome screw on pump turn but the impeller stays put? As with Most of the new Boilers Valiant. Glow- worm. Worchester 30 CDI you can Map the Pump you should look at this as well . I think you should be ok if you are only touching the wet side of system To put it another way if AAV went in boiler and water flooding every were and in order to stop this you could turn off isolation valves I know what I would do

Not a gas engineer myself mate so think I will leave the internals alone as advised but thanks anyway.

Right, the problem is solved!

We had a gas engineer over for about 45 minutes trying various things. He put the boiler into service mode and closed all upstairs rads. Nothing got hot downstairs. He recommended a power flush.

Few days later a different engineer from the same company called me about the power flush and suggested it may be an air lock. He suggested there may be an air release valve somewhere upstairs but I didn't know where it could be.

He came over, had a look at our pipework. Mentioned an airlock is very likely as it goes up and over so is quite prone to that happening.
Put the boiler into service mode again and whacked the pressure right up and turned the pump up (was on auto before). This fixed it, suddenly heard all the air moving in the system and voila, heat downstairs. Shouldn't happen so easily now either.

Very pleased as saved a £500 power flush which wasn't even needed!

Glad you got it sorted in the end

Awesome news mate. Glad it is sorted and you saved money. It’s nice to get feed back, it doesn’t happen often. As you saved £££s I hope that you gave him a drink?;);););)

Reply to Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock