Search the forum,

Discuss hoodwinked by customer, greenstar vs biasi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
'been drafted in on day rate to sort out where previous plumber/builder/engineer left off- he took the money and run- apparently?!
Anyway, boiler has been moved from loft to kitchen- well, place is a build site- walls are being plastered, floorboards are up all over the show, etc.
Green star is hanging on the kitchen wall, pipes connected- no flue, cond, pr, one rad and one hot tap.
Can i sort it out she says- ok but i can't guarantee anything, oh yes and the pressure gauge tube is severed.- new gauge-
long story short- boiler was too high for flue, on the inside- dropped it a foot or so, drilled flue hole- bloody hard brick! Changed PG and put a fly lead on boiler to see. Well a big fat nothing happened- no blue light- definitely power to pcb but nothing else. That took best part of a day....
So, she says- she'll just have a new boiler- not wanting to spend ££ trying to fix this one. Hoodwink feeling creeping in, when i said day rate...that didn't include new boiler did it?- ok it should be fairly easy provided the biasi flue lines up with the green star?
mmmm!! any pointers? How to negotiate more money/do the job properly of course, and be fair. :(:confused:
i need the work at the mo' been a bit quiet

Extra charge. Always always when moving a boiler get a signed consent that any problems with a moved boiler are down to customer and no responsibility of contractor and any additional work is an extra. As soon as builder involved you know there's likely to be problems and I'm always suspicious when another trade has disappeared halfway through a job regardless of the reason they tell you he left.

Hoodwink feeling creeping in, when i said day rate...that didn't include new boiler did it?- ok it should be fairly easy provided the biasi flue lines up with the green star?
mmmm!! any pointers? How to negotiate more money/do the job properly of course, and be fair.

Tell em straight. You will supply and install the new Boiler for £xxxx

I am always very suspicious of hearing that people left work unfinished. There is normally another completely different version of the story to the one you were told.

can't believe with the lack of T&C's with the mount of self employed gas engineers about nowadays , believe me if you don't you WILL get caught out , its not IF its WHEN it will happen ;):)

can't believe with the lack of T&C's with the mount of self employed gas engineers about nowadays , believe me if you don't you WILL get caught out , its not IF its WHEN it will happen ;):)
Yup that's a definite extra to add to my t+c's... but it still is a challenge to implement them- I can write them down and usually if I am asked to estimate I can email said t+c's and then I'm covered, but when you're on the hop- on a job to look and then the original plan changes and there's no one there to talk to- i.e. communication is later by text/call it's all goes a bit wonky-
How do you deal with it? - I'm still learning and most times it's right head fffuzz!!
It's challenging at times- knowing your stuff and then on top of that trying to earn a living without ripping people off and earning a decent living- I dunno sometimes I think I wish I loved painting/ gardening/ or something...o_O:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hoodwinked by customer, greenstar vs biasi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock