Search the forum,

Discuss Hole saw recommendations please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

At the moment I've got a mish mash of different makes, each with a different arbor so it's bulky and annoying. Looking for good quality saws for clean cuts in plasterboard and fast cuts through wood. Would prefer to buy individual saws rather than a set, so a good range of sizes is important, and it would be nice if they all used the same arbor to save space and weight.

I've got a couple of the Bosch Progressor ones in smaller sizes but the click-on system for the arbor doesn't look like very strong so I wonder how good it would be with bigger saws up to 5"?

Cheers!

I have a set I got from a tool fair to cut wood. Made by starett and have tungsten tips. Absolutely fly through.
Lawson HIS: Starrett KMP09021 9 Piece General Purpose TCT Multi Purpose Holesaw Kit 1
image.jpg

Plus one for tct hole saw have a look at Bosch daredevil tct

I have a set of old Starrett hole saws, still working but centre bits are blunt and need replaced.
I also have a small set of Lidl hole saws I got in a Lidl clearance, which are actually very good and some of the cutters suit plumbing diameters. Still remember they cost ÂŁ5. :smile:
I have just bought a set of carbide hole saws, again for a ÂŁ5 in a clearance.

Last edited:
I too am after a hole saw set, I'm sick of burning my way through stuff. I've abused my non branded generic set (from BES) for about 7 years. I wonder if they can be sharpend?

I bought the screwfix (erbauer?) ones because you can get the set and then every size individually up to about 152mm from memory

the best holesaws ive had are Lenox, followed by bosch and starrett. Lenox ones seem to be a lot harder to get though.

I've got the Bosch set. Very good quality, the click on system works well and makes it really easy to remove the "core" from the saw by taking the saw of the arbor and poking the waste out with the drill bit. Never had any issues with things breaking. You can get a set or buy them individually.

do they drill cast stacks for boss's?

Never tried but in theory yes they would but don't know how long they would last as we all know what cast is made out of

If you are drilling cast buy decent bi metal ones like Starrett. If for wood, plastic or plasterboard, buy a cheap set from lidl or aldi for about 20 odd quid which will come with 2 arbours and half a dozen cores then buy individual sizes whatever you like.
The bosch click ones are overpriced and are shyte and the pilot drills break too easy.
You can buy 1/4" pilots for the std arbours for a couple of quid or if you have the patience sharpen them.

[QUOTE
The bosch click ones are overpriced and are shyte and the pilot drills break too easy.
.[/QUOTE]

Errrrr, no they're not.
It breaks if you let the saw snatch when it breaks through. They will all do that.

Errr yes they are............ I've broke about 4 drilling nothing more than a strap on boss. I eventually threw it away. Never broke a std 1/4" arbour pilot in my life.

Exactly, the drill penetrates the plastic, the saw teeth suddenly catch the pipe, flick sideways and snap the drill bit. Be more careful.

I have the Bosch quick change set and find them very good. The set is quite reasonably priced but to replace individual ones as the go blunt does get quite expensive

I've had the Bosch quick change they're poo the ball bearing falls out of the quick change and the cutter drops off, mind you they do get abused a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got the bosch quick change ones, and the bosch adaptors for normal holesaw to fit them to quick change. been using them for 8-10 years without any major issues. things break as expected after being used alot.

the tct ones look a good choice if you can justify the cost, but if your using them all the time the they are not really that expensive. id rather spend ÂŁ30 on a bosch drill bit than ÂŁ10 on a cheap unbranded one, will last alot longer, perform better, protect your powertools more etc.....

i just buy the 10 quid ones from aldis,the arbor looks like this and fits most generic holesaws so easy to buy new saws when they go blunt ,you can buy replacement pilot drill bits most places as well http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/quick-...tracking url&gclid=CKSepLSA784CFU-6GwodIn8Cew

Put your screwfix catalogue down and have a look at the Morse hole saws.

I got the Titan ones from Screwfix, drilled a cast pipe, took it's time but done the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hole saw recommendations please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock