Search the forum,

Discuss Hive installation easy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just had a neighbour ask me if I can pop in tomorrow night to fit his hive controls, I've never fitted hive before, is it straight forward?

He spoke to me at my door and said something about not having a neutral, won't know what he means until I have a look.

Obviously customer will need internet, is there anything that could trip me up? I don't know what boiler he has but everyone in our street seems to have an s plan that I have seen.

Am I looking at an hours work?
Thanks

He hasn't got a neutral at his stat prob

Wire the receiver at the wiring centre

I would allow 2 hours incase of problems

Does the receiver replace the programmer?

Is it wireless room stat?

Does the receiver replace the programmer?

Is it wireless room stat?

Yes replaces them both and yes has a wireless stat / controller on the wall

So no neutral at the stat is no issue as not needed anyway if wireless.

So...
1. link up hub to internet.

2. Disconnect programmer, replace with receiver .

3. Fit stat.

4. Sync and test?

Looking at the wiring for the receiver, does it need to have CH off? Or will CH on only be ok?

I would fit receiver where the wiring centre is but that's down to your customer

How water off only when a 3 port is installed

And no don't need heating off

Yeah at wiring centre sounds best, will do my best to steer it that way.

ShaunCorbs, thanks.

Np

Here if you get stuck on the wiring

Dont forget to link out the old stat from the wiring centre. And also read the book before you turn it on as it needs turning on in a certain order. E.g hub first if i remember correctly

He hasn't got a neutral at his stat prob

Wire the receiver at the wiring centre

I would allow 2 hours incase of problems
I would only wire it in at the wiring centre if there is a random timer downstairs. If it is a new ish timer, like an LP 241 it is the same backplate almost. (As long as it is a twin channel Hive) But some of the older backplates do not quite fit the hive receiver properly. I always change the backplate anyway. Also you do not need internet for Hive you can fit it on stand alone mode also. But kind of defeats the object of it.

Edit due to forgetting to mention about linking the old stat out. I would do this at the 10 way and not the stat.

Ok, a little update - turns out it was a combi. Typical, will teach me to assume.

Hub was already connected when I got there, fixed the receiver to the wall by boiler. Disconnected room stat cable from boiler, put in a bit of 5 core, (earth not needed) live, neutral, common and ch on.

Cust put batteries in room stat while I was flicking through the manual. We synced them. Checked it turns on and off with the room stat. Didn't fix room stat to the wall because cust was not sure where he wanted it. He has trv's in every room.

Don't think I've missed anything, does it sound right?

What do you mean by linking out the old stat? It can just be disconnected completely can't it?

Sounds right

And either link it out of re arrange the wires (eg remove the stat wire don't snip it off tho)

Why is that?
In case it needs to be used in the future?

Yes or he sells and someone wants the old style stat back

Just make the wires safe and mark stat

Ok that makes sense, I over think things too much.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hive installation easy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock