Search the forum,

Discuss Hilti SDS drill or Bosch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Last edited:
Bosch and have you tried replacing the bushes ?

As said have you tried giving the drill a good service?

Bosh looks to have better specs but i'd go with hilt over bosh

Both are quality drills but Hilti is by far superior and way more robust.

There both about the same tbh had my Bosch 8 years and still going strong even on 4inch flue cores :D

It has lost a lot of its hitting force, when used for chiselling say...old 1930's metro tiles off all morning it looses its hammering force until it cools down.

It failed me the other week and I had to use my 18v Makita SDS but it drained all batterys in like 6 mins each.

Have you checked the brushes ?

I have that Hilti model. I don't use mine much as my old AEG drill (similar shape to the Bosch in your other link) is still going well. The Bosch might be a bit more compact in height & lighter, but it depends on what you think. The Hilti can also have a standard chuck that just swaps from the SDS chuck easily.
Go to your local Hilti shop, or get a Hilti rep to bring a demo for you to try before you buy. Make sure you get a good price and maybe some extra things in the price.
Hilti will make you look like a professional, but they just shout steal me, like other top of the range power tools.
And I do agree with checking the brushes in your old drill, - they are the part that need replaced after a few hard years & such a simple inexpensive job.

Last edited:
Makita supermak.... The dogs

bit old now mate, but still a gooden

[video=youtube;yl4up8KIvF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl4up8KIvF0[/video]

bit old now mate, but still a gooden

[video=youtube;yl4up8KIvF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl4up8KIvF0[/video]

Lol, no idea what the vid is about lol. My supermak is the sds one , i thought they all were, you could knock a hose down with it , I think I have had it about 14 years now.

It has lost a lot of its hitting force, when used for chiselling say...old 1930's metro tiles off all morning it looses its hammering force until it cools down.

It failed me the other week and I had to use my 18v Makita SDS but it drained all batterys in like 6 mins each.

Might just need a good service (repacked with grease) if it's becoming gutless when too warm.

I will look at changing the brushes, but I haven't bought a new powertool all year and I want a new toy.

Is there no way I can mail order a Hilti? or can I buy from the rep?

I will look at changing the brushes, but I haven't bought a new powertool all year and I want a new toy.

Is there no way I can mail order a Hilti? or can I buy from the rep?

You can just buy direct from Hilti UK online, but you would be wiser to buy from a Hilti centre by going directly into them and getting advice and a better deal. Or get a rep to meet you on a job.
I would try the shop personally. They want you to get onto Hilti gear and will probably also throw something in with a discounted price.

My sds I usually go for something cheapish as I do tend to abuse them. The last bosh I had lasted about 5-6 years, it then got old so I sold it for a tenner and bought a cheap dewalt and that lasted 2 years I'm now on a hitachi I think it cost £80 and it does the job. I banged 25mm bit through a hard block then a 30mm after that so I'm happy with it.

I wonder why Hilti stores are not open Saturdays?

I'd have to drive into the city centre but I only go to Leeds on a train, it would cost me £500 in bus lane fines just to get there.

Phil, if you are genuinely going to struggle to get the time, to get to your nearest Hilti place, just get the phone number of your local centre and have a chat about which models & parts suit your needs & arrange a rep to come to your preferred location. They probably will let you use a drill for a day.
If you still like the drill - deal with the rep for a lower price (ignore Hilti retail list prices) for a good price & with some wee extras thrown in. Hilti do special deals on some gear just before each Christmas

The hilti is a lot more money and tbh if it's going to be abused I'd get the bosch and buy another when is done.

Last edited:
The hilti is a lot more money and tbh if it's going to be abused I'd get the bosch and buy another when is done.

That's my opinion as well. With my 240v sds I know I am going to use it to drill well over what they say you can so I go and grab a screwfix catalogue and look what's on offer at the time. I've only got through 5 in 15 years so that's not too bad for probably not a lot more than £500.00

Don't buy dewalt though I've burnt 2 out, my Bosch I have sold on 1 when I got fed up of lugging a transformer and the other I sold as I had it for a fair few years.

Not sure if you guys can get the same deals as we can.

If you buy a load of Hilti fixings and drill bits, sometimes they will throw in a drill to suit your needs.

You may have to buy fixings and drill bits that will last you a year or two, but honestly, I haven't paid for an sds drill for 15 years. I still have a couple I've never used.

I'm still struggling to find the time to get to the Hilti store, I don't want to meet the rep on a job somewhere as I would never have time to sort anything out.

I know....but I like the idea of getting extra goodies in store.

If they were open now I'd go (sat afternoon).

Hitachi no good ??
I have a 36v cordless - can knock a house down.

As I had previously said Phil, I have the above Hilti drill. I can't really comment on it because I don't really use it. I have an old AEG sds drill that does light jobs well and I keep it going.
Although I have Hilti tools and love them, I would say with a mains powered drill you are not tied to one brand because of batteries, so consider saving money and look at the cheaper professional brands, like Blue Bosch.
But Hilti can work out on a deal and with extra free items, very decent price.

I've got friends in Germany using over 12 years the same hilti machine it's by far better ... More expensive but after 12 years same machine / you can't get cheaper machine with high quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hilti SDS drill or Bosch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock