Search the forum,

Discuss Hi, newly qualified gas engineer looking for work. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gasTIG

Or advice on how to get work.

Like I said I've just qualified. I wend to the Brookhouse training centre in Bradford and did 10 weeks placement at Yorkshire Housing.

Getting work with so little experience is a little difficult. There is the possibility of me buying the equipment and getting on with it but I'm not sure how or who I can talk to about doing that.

Any advice would be good, cheers.

Like I said I've just qualified. I wend to the Brookhouse training centre in Bradford and did 10 weeks placement at Yorkshire Housing.

Getting work with so little experience is a little difficult.

No disrespect to the original poster here but...

In Germany you have to a 4 year apprenticeship to enter an occupation like plumbing or gas.

In England we issue a certificate of 'competence' in gas, after 10 weeks, requiring little if any experience!

Do others think this is very odd, if not unbelievable?

Just send put as many cv's as possible n may.
be ask for trials n work ya socks of !!..
That's what I did n I'm only new to the trade (one year quailified)...
Other thing get some books n do some reading to get ya knowledge up to scratch as it will save you some serious time out on the field!.
Best of luck

I live in Bradford.

Your not wrong Clanger, to get the qualification is just a matter of passing a few test and having a portfolio of 30+ jobs. This means you get a sheet of paper saying your allowed to undertake the work but I have very little practical experience.

Which is why it's going to be difficult getting work. Need some advice.

Who here has set up an Ltd company and who is a sole trader? Is the difference just about debt management?

Anyone got experience of both and can tell me which one to set up?

Who here has set up an Ltd company and who is a sole trader? Is the difference just about debt management?

Anyone got experience of both and can tell me which one to set up?

There was an advantage in the past of setting up a Ltd company, I do not think this is still the case. The Ltd company will reduce your liability if something goes wrong e.g. risk of losing your house/assets etc to pay someone's claim.

However if you are skint or starting out, then forget about going Ltd.

I actually came a cropper with being Ltd when I broke my leg. Having worked for over thirty years self-employed and never claimed anything, I was not able to claim for sick pay or any benefits - nothing at all! because I was a director of my own 1-man-band company. Tax man said that the company has to pay my sick pay, but if company owner incapacitated, then Hard Luck!

After talking to an accountant your correct. I was told by someone that the tax benefits were better in a Ltd company but that's not the case any more.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi, newly qualified gas engineer looking for work. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock