Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all trainee plumber just starting out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody, I'm Jonathan from South Yorkshire. I've just started a course with train4jobs to be a plumber and gain nvq lv 2 and lv 3 with the city and guilds certification assessments bits.

Im a primary school teacher that wants to come out of the profession. I love DIY and practical stuff and feel I'd be more suited to plumbing than teaching. Currently working as a waiter in a hotel and looking aft our son while the missus earns us the dash until I've finished the course and am employed properly again (my waiting job just helps us get by).

Signed up up as I spend a lot of times on various forums (mainly cars) and I'm sure I'll gain advice and knowledge through this forum for my chosen career change.

Thanks for listening to my waffle.

Hello and welcome

There a good lot on here but there are a few that are not much to look at tho :D

Welcome along, with some of these courses you may find employment without experience is difficult. Not impossible but difficult. Be prepared that you might have to look at the self employed /subcontractor route. Not trying to be negative just a realist

Best to check out his earlier posts guys, it`s all slightly back to front.

:detective:

Last edited:
The job at the end does concern me as there seems to be a lot of negativity about these private training companies. In sounds legit. I'm happy take a lesser wage while I've got more experience.

There are a few parts to the training I'm doing. Quite a bit of self study and do assed modules marked by a tutor in a college. Then every so many modules you go into centres to do the 'practical' learning and start to build up a portfolio of work you've carried out and been assed on by a city and guilds assessor. Then you go onto various sites and work on the job along side qualified plumbers to get some real life experience (unpaid) but gives you chance to be assessed again and continue to get work for your portfolio. By the end of lv3 I'll be able to register as gas safe. Or so I'm lead to believe. I hope I wasn't given spin...

Believe me after reading a few reviews on private training companies I've looked at what the qualifications will actually allow me to do. Many of the job specs do state so many years experience which still concerns me but I'm happy to do a lesser paid job until I have that experience. Then move on... I'd eventually like to be self employed but wouldn't mind a bit of stability being an employee would give for a few years.

The job at the end does concern me as there seems to be a lot of negativity about these private training companies. In sounds legit. I'm happy take a lesser wage while I've got more experience.

There are a few parts to the training I'm doing. Quite a bit of self study and do assed modules marked by a tutor in a college. Then every so many modules you go into centres to do the 'practical' learning and start to build up a portfolio of work you've carried out and been assed on by a city and guilds assessor. Then you go onto various sites and work on the job along side qualified plumbers to get some real life experience (unpaid) but gives you chance to be assessed again and continue to get work for your portfolio. By the end of lv3 I'll be able to register as gas safe. Or so I'm lead to believe. I hope I wasn't given spin...

Believe me after reading a few reviews on private training companies I've looked at what the qualifications will actually allow me to do. Many of the job specs do state so many years experience which still concerns me but I'm happy to do a lesser paid job until I have that experience. Then move on... I'd eventually like to be self employed but wouldn't mind a bit of stability being an employee would give for a few years.

You are making a brave career move.Like a number of members in various posts on the Forum,I worry that your chosen training is the right way to go.You say there is some negativity re-courses like this,correct.Have you found any positivity?These courses are hard sell based with significant commission for the salesman.Double glazing ,kitchens are similar.As for Tommy Walsh I like him and Phil Spencer.They are both chosen for their links to houses/building and are on a good earner.
As you have only just started,NOW is the time to do further due diligence.From the course provider be clear exactly what you are guaranteed.Ask to meet a few ex-course members to find out how things went for them.Their reaction and co-operation will be interesting.
Contact local plumber/heating engineers from 1 man bands to companies and gauge their reactions.Find out what they want from an employee,whether they would look at offering an apprenticeship.
Talk to the local technical college dept.
When you have done this,you should have a clear picture based on your OWN findings.
From a legal point of view I am passing no judgement on train4skills.I simply feel you need to be totally happy with your choice.
I did the local tech.route 2/3 days a week the rest self employed,Some help/training with a mate who left before me.The rest over 8 years was learning on the job.Vast amounts learned from the Plumbers/Tilers Forum and it's free.I am just earning a viable wage which coincides with buying my first house.I needed tons of support from family and I was only responsible for myself.I thought hard before posting.My intention is to be helpful not negative.

I have to mirror what A1P says. I went the college route for three years and did most of an apprenticeship before deciding I didn't want to do plumbing and went off and ran pubs for 8 years. I wish dearly that I had Stuck with the plumbing but that is by the by. My point is I think I will find at least one thing a week that will require experience in order to decipher a pipe run or do you understand why a previous plumber has done what he's done. Don't get me wrong these courses will teach you a lot if you have never done plumbing before but would an employer take a punt on someone else that has no on-site experience I think in many cases the answer would be no. Again I am not trying to be negative but just think long and hard about how you go about getting your experience not just the bits of paper with qualifications on

Last edited:
Hi all, first of all thanks A1P, I missed this message but caught your other message back on another thread.

I feel more at ease now. Spoken to people at the college who say that I'll gain the experience side of things when I eventually go on site but that isn't for a while due to insurance and needing the basic skills first which I'll learn at college. It's a lot of money and the guy who came was a typical salesman. Other people who've done the corse reccomend doing plumbing maintance along side the course to build up confidence also. Obviously, at a much cheaper rate than a certified plumber and I'll only be able to do certain things (basic wet stuff/ fixing leaks and faucets etc.)

Ive past my first module and half way through second one but it's a heafty one (health and safety). I've still not done any proper plumbing yet! It will be a few more weeks till I go into college and start my practical and even longer till I get on site. The course I'm on is part funded because they run working sites where I'll work along side proper plumbers and like an apprentice, I'll have to have work checked over and signed off by them when the time comes.

Not the traditional route but there doesn't seem to be very many plumbers in my area taking on apprentices due to cost and I'm of an age where I can't get it funded either.

Guitarjon, give me a call when convenient as I have an idea that could be well up your street.

Hi everybody, I'm Jonathan from South Yorkshire. I've just started a course with train4jobs to be a plumber and gain nvq lv 2 and lv 3 with the city and guilds certification assessments bits.

Im a primary school teacher that wants to come out of the profession. I love DIY and practical stuff and feel I'd be more suited to plumbing than teaching. Currently working as a waiter in a hotel and looking aft our son while the missus earns us the dash until I've finished the course and am employed properly again (my waiting job just helps us get by).

Signed up up as I spend a lot of times on various forums (mainly cars) and I'm sure I'll gain advice and knowledge through this forum for my chosen career change.

Thanks for listening to my waffle.

Theres less mandatory theoretical bull**** in this job than there is in teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi all trainee plumber just starting out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock