Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Hi all newbie here needing some advice. in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Leon grimshaw

Leon grimshaw New Member

Hi all. My name's leon I'm 44 and I currently work on the railway. After many years of this I've decided that I want a career change and plumbing / gas central heating could b a good move I think. My question is, is it a good move at my age. Can i learn something like this over a year. I can go part time and learn in the week. Whitch cource is best I've looked at some private courses and they are expensive but if it gets me into a good career it's worth it. And of cource what's the chances of obtaining employment after completing a cource. I know u probably get asked this a lot but it's a v big move for me and I need to be sure.
    Thx all in advance for any advice

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Hi Leon, in answer to your questions, it could be a good move depends on the job availably in your area, No its not something you can learn in a year think more like 5 if you want to do gas, chances of being employed are very low with little or no experience. and you will be starting on min wage, there is a lot of completion for jobs in this field even guys with years of experience find it difficult. Maybe think about other trades e.g. Tiling / Plasterer are earning more than plumbers and training for these is a lot less + you don't need to resit exams every 5 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Loads of competition from builders, and wannabe plumbers nowadays.
    You would be better installing bathrooms, - and that's only if you can learn how to do pipework properly and other associated work. That would really take a few years experience alone, if you haven't already some.
    What sort of money do you earn on the railway?

• Agree Agree x 1