Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Hi all newbie here needing some advice. in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon grimshaw

Leon grimshaw New Member

Hi all. My name's leon I'm 44 and I currently work on the railway. After many years of this I've decided that I want a career change and plumbing / gas central heating could b a good move I think. My question is, is it a good move at my age. Can i learn something like this over a year. I can go part time and learn in the week. Whitch cource is best I've looked at some private courses and they are expensive but if it gets me into a good career it's worth it. And of cource what's the chances of obtaining employment after completing a cource. I know u probably get asked this a lot but it's a v big move for me and I need to be sure.
    Thx all in advance for any advice

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Hi Leon, in answer to your questions, it could be a good move depends on the job availably in your area, No its not something you can learn in a year think more like 5 if you want to do gas, chances of being employed are very low with little or no experience. and you will be starting on min wage, there is a lot of completion for jobs in this field even guys with years of experience find it difficult. Maybe think about other trades e.g. Tiling / Plasterer are earning more than plumbers and training for these is a lot less + you don't need to resit exams every 5 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Loads of competition from builders, and wannabe plumbers nowadays.
    You would be better installing bathrooms, - and that's only if you can learn how to do pipework properly and other associated work. That would really take a few years experience alone, if you haven't already some.
    What sort of money do you earn on the railway?

• Agree Agree x 1