Search the forum,

Discuss Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Emma0912

We had problems with our header tank overfilling and water going out the overflow. 6 British Gas engineers and 3 ballcocks/ballvalves later turns out that pressure from the kitchen hot tap was causing water to back feed the water tank causing the overflow. The last engineer has since turned off the valve to the hot water tap in the kitchen which was yesterday. This morning after running a bath the tank is now not refilling with water and I don't know what is causing this. We have British Gas coming out tomorrow but was wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime apart from boiling kettles lol.

you say he has turned of the valve to the hot tap in kitchen. so you only get cold from the tap at the moment.

Yes, we have cold water in the kitchen tap, and we would have hot water from other hot taps upstairs.

least we know you still have mains cold.

have you checked the ball valve in the loft as he may of isolated the feed to it or it has jammed shut not to be filling the tank.

i take it you mean the tank in the loft is not filling ?

I think we have a wierd set up. Our boiler/tank is in an airing cupboard in the bathroom where we can look into the header tank. The engineer who came out said that the tank in the loft is for the central heating?? I don't think there is any water actually in the pipe to the ball valve so could it be the pressure isn't strong enough since the engineer turned the hot tap valve off?

Sorry if I sound blonde!

no the hot is seperate.

ok yes the tank in loft is heating - forget that one.

this tank in airing cupboard runs from the mains cold feed.

if you look in it the tank is totally empty ?
lift the ball valve up/down a few times nothing comes out ?

if not follow the pipe down and look for a valve on the pipe that could be shut off.

let me know.

I've just had a look at the ballvalve and loosen it a bit and it now seems to be filling up so it looks like it was just too tight. Will keep an eye on it but it seems I'm a plumber in the making :)

Yeah, since the valve has been turned off it's stopped overflowing.

I called british gas to come out because our tank wasn't filling up but seeing as I've fixed it by loosening the valve I've cancelled the visit. Seems the last engineer had it too tight, and because I've been at work hadn't noticed till now.

The valve is being sorted by the landlord as the house is rented.

easyest solution to your problem is stick a check valve on the hot water pipe before the tap.

this stops mains pressure cold water pushing gravity hot water backwards then filling your tank and overflowing.

Where can you buy one of those from? Are they easy to fit ourselves?

any plumbers merchants.

they are called a single check valve. and yes you can do them yourself.
but working under kitchen sinks without the right tools can be a nightmare.

only cost a few qiud.

are you taps old etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock