Search the forum,

Discuss Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy83

I signed up to the plumbing forum a while ago as I am intending to train as a plumber and need some advice. I'm getting really bogged down with the amount of different courses on offer. I'm not sure which qualifications I need to obtain and which option is the best to take. I keep reading horror stories about both private courses (people being ripped off and coming out with worthless qualifications) and college courses (the standard of training being quite poor). Also I've read numerous accounts of people unable to get work as the market is being saturated by new plumbers. Can somebody tell me which qualifications I need to obtain too and if possible the amount of money you think I should be paying? I'm 27 so I'm going to have to pay whether I go to college or do a private course. I know I need to do C&G basic plumbing certificate level 2 6129 but do I then need to do level 3 aswell before I can do my NVQ? I've seen a course offering a direct NVQ which I'm obviously highly dubious about as I know you have to do the NVQ on site and it says no previous experience neccesary. Another thing is that the Manchester college offers C&G basic plumbing level 2 6129 but says that you have to have 3 years experience. As its a basic skills course I'd like to know what they expect you to have been doing for 3 years? Arghhhhhhhhhh! If anyone knows the perfect way of getting into the plumbing industry please let me know!! I know its going to be hard graft but I really don't want to waste my time and money doing an overpriced worthless course! HELP!

hi andy. im doing basic plumbing level 2 at salford city college starting next week.
The fee's are £1500, but if u are unemployed the goverment will pay, its a 1 year full time course, after that i will have to seek employment to do my NVQ level 2 and 3, i recommend the college route or an a apprenticeship as adults are now funded, however that depends on your circumstance.

J

you only need 3 years expereince to do a direct nvq, if you do the 6129 before you dont need it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
I want to start off by saying that I have never worked in a construction environment in my entire life, so I am very unknowledge in this area. I have only worked at a coffee shop for 5 years of my life. I am currently doing a Plumbing L2 and next year will start an NVQ L2. For the NVQ I will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock