Search the forum,

Discuss Help with propane torch please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm retired, thank the God's, so now my time is filled with hobby work and avoiding real work at all costs :D

I recently got into small steam engines and managed ok for a while with my Mapp gas torch, but anything other than "really small" is a pain to silver solder, so I bought a propane bottle and a torch.

I have a couple of questions and a problem.

The torch is second hand, it's made by Calor but I cant find any info on them, are they any good ?

It came with a 22mm burner which will be ok for most stuff and a whopping great 40mm which is ideal for steam boilers, does anyone know if there are other burners available ? I need a small one so I can do away with the Mapp gas, the thread looks to be 14mm.

And I have a problem but not sure its worth fixing, back in the 70's I worked as a Plumber, but I spent all my time lead burning with Propane/Oxy, I was given a little Sievert torch but never used it as it wasn't suitable. Today I hooked it up to try it, what I got was a big flame with no pressure, like air wasn't getting through, it looks clear but might need stripping, any thoughts ?

Any help or comments much appreciated.

was it something like this? / A real old wire handle

$_99.JPG

also did you have your oxygen bottle connected as well as the propane ?

Hi and thanks, the Calor torch I have is like the one in the photo, that's the one I would like to get a smaller burner/nozzle for.
The Sievert is a Propane torch not oxy/propane, thats the one with the flame problem

Don't think you can get small nozzles for your calor (normally medium and large)

And normally they don't have the capacity of a pre mix to get a bluer flame

120L Brazing And Welding Torch Kit

Hi Flyte, I use this set up for all sorts of fine work. I bought it for Lead burning and it is a superb bit of kit. Not cheap but well worth it.

I don't know the company in the link but you can buy this set from most Plumbers Merchants. I got mine from PTS.

Hi Shaun, yea it doesn't look like they did a smaller nozzle for the Calor torch, strange as the nozzle fitting is small, only 14mm/1/2" where as a bullfinch is 1" and they do small ones

Hi Last Plumber, I dont see a link in your post ? but if its expensive I'll have to pass, all I have is a measly pension and I just want the torch for hobby work.

If you could find one to fit the threads it should work but can't think where you could, other than maybe making one / welding one up

It's at the top, it says 120L at the start.

It's around £160 ish as I remember

I might ring Calor tomorrow and see if they can help, you never know.

£160 is more than my pension, times are hard lol.

There is a smaller nozzle for those burners. It is about 15mm I think. Hopefully they still make it. I used the same Calor torches (with silver metal body) nearly all of my time, until I got a Surefire. The Calor torch has a combined turn and push flow control knob, - hasn't it?
I probably have the smaller nozzle somewhere, but I recall it stopped working as the jet in it must have blocked. Normally strip them down and clear the jet with a jet picker or fine bit of wire. If I find it I will let you know

Hi Best and thank you, uploading pic of torch, the control knob only turns so maybe its a different one, the nozzles in the pic are 40 and 22mm, both should be good for silver soldering but a bit to big for other soldering work. The fitting looks like 1/2".

It seems to be well made and works nicely.

IMGP3105.JPG

Hi Flyte,
Looks very similar to my Calor torches. The red knob looks identical and with mine you can squeeze it to reduce flame to how you need it. I miss that single handed ability that my Surefire doesn't have.
I will contact you if I find my smaller nozzle

Just had another look at the little Sievert torch, everything is clear and clean but its like no air is getting through to mix with the gas, makes no difference how I set it, I just get a long pure gas flame, any thoughts ?

IMGP3107.JPG

Check the air vents on the nozzle.
Or maybe the jet is clogged

Hi Best, yea I checked the vents inside, its all clear, so is the jet, its weird isnt it. I wish I had another one to compare them it seems like theres something very basically wrong.

Sievert mystery solved, the "jet" isn't a jet, its a piece of brass shoved in with a hole drilled, it actually fell out when I tapped it, so now I can see the threaded section where the jet should be. Some people should never be allowed to hold anything sharper than golf ball.
I sent a couple of emails out today to see if anyone can help with a small nozzle for the Calor torch.

I definitely had a small nozzle for the Calor torches.
Just finding it might be difficult, but I will look for it.
I would assume it is still available.

Thanks Best for taking the time, would be nice if you found it, if you do I will name my next steam engine after you :D
Might still have some luck with the emails I sent out, fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with propane torch please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock