Search the forum,

Discuss Help with noisy hot water heating loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a sealed S plan system which is noisy BUT only when i have the hot water on alone. If i have the central heating and the hot water on together there is no noise but as soon as i switch the central heating off it sounds as if there is air or something moving inside the pipes (sounds a bit like a marble moving around the pipe!).

I have a separate issue where I am getting a small amount of air in the highest rad (it needs bleeding for about 2-3 seconds each week even though i can find absolutely no leaks and ive checked everywhere!).

Any ideas on either issue?

Could be too much flow through the cylinder coil (does the noise sound like somthing is vibrating or is it more of a ting ting noise)

Second question do you have to top up the system pressure twice a week ish ?

Is there an auto bypass on system and balancing valve to coil fitted ?

Excellent, you both sound like you know what you're talking about!

1. The noise is like a Ting Ting, not vibration
2. Despite a very small leak the system pressure does not visibly seem to drop. I checked it when cold over a week or so and could not see a visibly change, it remained bang on 1 bar. (It obviously drops slightly if i bleed the radiator)

3. There is a bypass valve fitted.
4. There is also a balancing valve to the coil (i haven't touched this so not sure how open it is).

Thanks again

Marc

Seems like you might need to put some more inhibitor in your system

The valve on the coil is it a red gate valve ?

What type of Boiler ?
System Boiler or Regular Boiler (with external pump)?

Shaun,

Yes, the valve is a red gate valve. I've recently put in some new inhibitor (and leak sealant) whilst removing a radiator to decorate - would this really make a differecne to the "tinging" noise?

Last Plumber,

Its a regular Worcester boiler with an external pump. (Its oil rather than gas as we live in the sticks but dont think this makes a difference.

Depends if you drained the whole system could be air trapped in the coil

Shaun,

The system hasn't been drained recently so dont think its air trapped in the coil. There is manual an air oulet valve next to cylinder which i checked and no air in there. The tinging noise is coming from the pipes near the boiler that feed the coil

Last plumber,

The pump is on max speed setting - its a big house though with 15 radiators.

We moved into the house 6 months ago and as soon as we moved in i had the old 1 pipe system replaced with a 2 pipe system. The noise (and also a small amount of air somehow getting into the system) have been present since then. Unfortunately plumber who fitted the system has now moved and cant get hold of him.

Whats weird is that:

a) the noise from pipes is only present when the hot water is on alone. As soon as i switch the central heating on it disappears?!

b) Its a pressured system with no visible leaks so how come i have to bleed one of the rads for 2-3 seconds every week?! I've also checked the expansion tank overflow and there is no water discharge from there.

Is the noise only heard near the tank ?

Kris,

No, the ting ting noise is coming from the 22mm pipes near the boiler. Sounds like air in them to me but this doesn't really make sense (see above)

turn the circ pump down a notch and try adjusting the bypass as well if it only happens on hw it is probably down to too high circ rate on smaller circuit and just needs adjusting.

I agree with Lame.
You could try adjusting the Balancing valve a bit too on the cylinder coil.
Try half way open if it's 22mm

Right, I have Rubbish the gate valve off slightly and it seems to have stopped the noise! Thank you all.

Anyone any idea on how i can be getting air into a sealed system but dont have a leak? only a small amount but its there...

Right, I have **** the gate valve off slightly and it seems to have stopped the noise! Thank you all.

Anyone any idea on how i can be getting air into a sealed system but dont have a leak? only a small amount but its there...

It may not be air, it could be hydrogen !
By product of corrosion ?
Did you have rads changed when pipe work was changed to two pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with noisy hot water heating loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock