Search the forum,

Discuss Help with boiler flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this a forum for advice? That’s what I thought it was, but when asking, all I get is employ a gas safe engineer? Thanks guys!!

Of course I will be. It’s a requirement under building control.

I am building an extension where my boiler is. I will have a gas safe eng move the flue. My question is, can I extend the flue 90 degrees and up through the roof of the new extension? If so, does the exhaust and intake have to go to outside air, or just the exhaust? How do the kits come?
Reason for asking is, if it’s just the exhaust, will I need to make provisions for more ventilation in the room (cloakroom) to allow for sufficient air for the intake?
I will get a gas safe eng for the extension of the flue. The reason for the question is for advice for the building works.

Thanks
Simon (not a gas safe eng)

The reason you might struggle to get advice is there are to many variables so without seeing the job it would be easy to give you bad advice. For instance from reading the above it doesnt even give a make and model of the boiler so it might not even be possible to extend it with a PMK if its an old standard efficency boiler. You cant do as your suggesting though and use a plume kit leaving the air from combustion to be taken from a cloak room though no.

Read the MI's, they will go through the flueing of the appliance in detail.

If you can't work it out from that or you can't flue the appliance within their limitations, than what you want to achieve may not be achievable

How very weird, there is an almost identical post on another forum regarding this but with a different boiler :rolleyes:
That OP even sounds like you as well, is it the season of fake posts I wonder?

is this a forum for advice? That’s what I thought it was, but when asking, all I get is employ a gas safe engineer? Thanks guys!!

Of course I will be. It’s a requirement under building control.

I am building an extension where my boiler is. I will have a gas safe eng move the flue. My question is, can I extend the flue 90 degrees and up through the roof of the new extension? If so, does the exhaust and intake have to go to outside air, or just the exhaust? How do the kits come?
Reason for asking is, if it’s just the exhaust, will I need to make provisions for more ventilation in the room (cloakroom) to allow for sufficient air for the intake?
I will get a gas safe eng for the extension of the flue. The reason for the question is for advice for the building works.

Thanks
Simon (not a gas safe eng)
We cannot give gas safe advice to people that are not gas safe registered. This may offend you but unfortunately if we do it could cost someone their job, or worse their life. Also you should not take advice from someone that is not gas safe registered. As they are not trained. Hope this helps.

Fake post???? Why on earth would anyone create a fake post about a boiler flue extension?
That’s not a very exciting life!
Yes I understand the ramifications of supplying advice regarding a gas fired appliance. The advice I’m searching for is if it’s possible, and do I need to vent the extension, or does the intake need to.
This is not a plumbers area, as we all know, they will not stray from their field to install ventilation, therefore if it’s needed, I need to instruct someone else to install it.

Fake post???? Why on earth would anyone create a fake post about a boiler flue extension?
That’s not a very exciting life!
Yes I understand the ramifications of supplying advice regarding a gas fired appliance. The advice I’m searching for is if it’s possible, and do I need to vent the extension, or does the intake need to.
This is not a plumbers area, as we all know, they will not stray from their field to install ventilation, therefore if it’s needed, I need to instruct someone else to install it.

Get a gas safe engy to install it and not a plumber sorted no need to do anything yourself other than phone one up and pay the balance

What a waste of time this forum is.
You’re a Mod, but you can’t even read the post.
This should be restricted to arrogant ‘engys’ who cannot give advice other than ‘employ an engy’
Well done boys. Great advice.
As an Architect, I fully understand who needs to employer and where. Sometimes advice is also needed to assist other areas that are impacted by a plumbing change. Such as extending a flue. A forum is for advice. If you cannot provide it to the general public, the forum shouldn’t be available to them.
Poor show boys. Poor show.

This should be restricted to arrogant ‘engys’ who cannot give advice other than ‘employ an engy’
As an Architect, I fully understand who needs to employer and where. Sometimes advice is also needed to assist other areas that are impacted by a plumbing change. Such as extending a flue. A forum is for advice. If you cannot provide it to the general public, the forum shouldn’t be available to them.

Anything else you need to get off your chest ? If you look at your pms I answered your question early this morning also I gave you a reason why I closed your thread

If you are an architect looking for advice for something in The planning stages of a job.
I can tell you this. The flue cannot be done as you ask. The products if combustion and the air source must be from the same place.

RS boiler it may be possible depending on MI's. & no PPV required. BF boiler not possible. & OF boiler it may be possible depending on MI's & suitable sized PPVwill be required to match the KW of boiler. So basically your no wiser my friend it may or may not be possible and you may or may not need PPV. You need a GSR to determine.

As an architect you should know better then! Or why don't you just build around the flue, which it sounds like you have already done. (Really not recommended to do this as it is DANGEROUS) Not realising it will cause you a problem and it also sounds like you have realised it is going to cost extra money on top of your budget putting/installing/adapting a new boiler in a more sensible location. (Now that half the extension is built). Your now trying to pressure good engineers into giving advice that we are not aloud to give. Our advice is to get a gas safe Engineer in, you do not have to like this advice but it is what we are telling you and WE are the PROFESSIONALS here. If you are not happy, then please try another forum. But I bet you get (or have got) the same answer which is why you are being so pushy. This would have been easy avoided if you had got a gas safe Engineer in to do a survey before you had started the extension. (A decent builder would have done this) This is my last post on this matter as I do not want to repeat myself anymore and would advise all others to do the same also I would advise anybody that is able to just keep closing the threads.;)

As a Gas Safe Registered Engineer...no.Thats your advice you have asked for? Now put your handbag away an find yourself a GSR engineer who will happily give you all the advice you need.

No architect would be asking such questions on the Internet. Phone your contacts/ mechanical design engineer, building control, your gas safe installer.

If you are going to hire a gas safe eng, why not asking him directly? It safes you time and hassle to upload questions which can be answered via the phone. Just employ an engineer and get him out to you discuss the works. He will for certain give you all the answers you need to carry on the works. It's the right time to get him out so you both can build a relationship before the works start.

If you are an architect you should be a bit more professional and get in the right person to advise you on the options available. Someone who is Gas Safe Registered and has Gas Boiler on their registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with boiler flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock