Search the forum,

Discuss Help! steel to copper pipework join in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!
I've posted a picture to help explain my issue.
I had a leak in a pipe. A corroded pipe to the right of join C, there was a hole in it. The leak was not at the join, rather about an inch or so to the right of join C.
That pipe has been replaced.
Prior to the pipe being replaced the 3 way part shown was a soldered part and didn't leak (none of the 3 joins). Replacing the pipe resulted in replacing the 3 way join part.
The replacement part is a bolt like looking part (sorry, don't know the name of the part.)

Since the pipe replacement that 3-way join is leaking at each join. A,B and C.
I am told it is not possible for that join now not to leak as it is a join with steel to copper piping.
In essence it is not fixable to not leak.

Is this true?
Or can it be fixed so it doesn't leak? I am concerned I am being fobbed off

Thank you for any help.

Corgi Picture 1.jpg

you have a couple of options

one cut a 1/2 thread into the steel and either use a 1/2 steel coupling and a 1/2 male iron to copper then your sorted

two a transition coupling (philmac do them) and they join straight to copper but they are big

but are you sure its steel get a knife and scratch it if steel will go shiny silver if copper will show copper underneath

Last edited:
thank you.
I have had the pipe (to right of C) replaced by an engineer under my central heating/ boiler cover. He now tells the cover plan people that the 3 leaks at A,B and C can't be solved as it's a steel pipe joining copper. so the cover plan is effectively washing their hands of the fact I now have 3 leaks in a place I didn't have before. It doesn't make logical sense to me that it can't be fixed not to leak as there were no leaks at those joins before the pipe with the hole in it was replaced.

Last edited:
thank you.
I have had the pipe (to right of C) replaced by an engineer under my central heating/ boiler cover. He now tells the cover plan people that the 3 leaks at A,B and C can't be solved as it's a steel pipe joining copper. so the cover plan is effectively washing their hands of the fact I now have 3 leaks in a place I didn't have before. It doesn't make logical sense to me that there were no leaks at those joins before the pipe with the hole in it was replaced.

think its time to get rid of the cover as b and c should defo not be leaking, but it can be fixed

Thank you.
as a rough guide before I get quotes for the fix if I call some plumbers for a quote what sort of ball park figure am I looking at?

Thank you.
as a rough guide before I get quotes for the fix if I call some plumbers for a quote what sort of ball park figure am I looking at?

cant say sorry as there are to many variables

but you can post in here to see if anyone is local to you

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

So they fit a tee onto a pipe that it is not suitable for. It then leaks and they say now it can't be fixed?
This can be fixed with the correct fittings ( 30min with three cups of tea!)

Get them back to do the job properly, then bin the service plan.

So they fit a tee onto a pipe that it is not suitable for. It then leaks and they say now it can't be fixed?
This can be fixed with the correct fittings ( 30min with three cups of tea!)

Get them back to do the job properly, then bin the service plan.

Please excuse my lack of savvy - is the bolty 3 way part then completely the wrong part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! steel to copper pipework join in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock