Search the forum,

Discuss Help please not sure how to fix this back boiler issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grankin

Hi i have an old back boiler in a ground floor flat. The expansion tank is in the bedroom cupboard and above it is a black tank that is full of cold water with a ball cock in it. This has been making a constant runing water sound for a week and i have only just noticed the overflow outside is pouring out. I opened the lid of the tank and its full to the overflow valve and just keeps filling. I am guessing the hot water feed is in my upstairs neighbours loft. What do i do to fix this will it be the ball cock or something else? Should i turn the water mains off? Is this safe over night or will it possibly overflow out the tank?

Try gently lifting the ball cock a couple of millimeters. If the flow stops you may be able to rest a piece of wood (if you have one) across the top of the tank and use a piece of string hold the float up until morning.

If that isn't feasible (or the gentle lifting doesn't do the trick), turn off your water at your stopcock over night.

Don't apply excessive force to anything and particularly not at this time of night.

If it's not your flat contact the landlord of agent to get the problem fixed. If it's your flat I recommend you employ a plumber.

Definitely your ball cock;);). You can just change the diaphragm on some of them. Have you got a picture of the valve. But be careful not to drop your phone in the tank:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help please not sure how to fix this back boiler issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat. My flat kitchen and bathroom was always on mains supply (no tank supply at all) and the rest of the 5 flats were mains supply to kitchen and water...
Replies
Views
hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have emptied the water tank in the loft and also closed the main stopcock. still the leak is on - hoping it will eventually stop. I have not idea how the...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last year . Do I recover the metal back boiler in fire cement or is their something better. The fire cement at the bottom of the photo is where I block...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, New here & my first post! I have a Worcester greenstar 24i, it is a conventional boiler, it has a water tank upstairs. For the past year the hot water when turned on was intermittent. I repressurised the expansion vessel to 1 bar and the hot water switch when turned on worked...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock