1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss HELP PLEASE – Plug mechanism is broken in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. Howdoi?

    Howdoi? New Member

    I could do with some advice please.

    My bath has an overflowand plug, which lifts when you turn a handle.
    Not particularly unusual, I know.

    The handle has stopped twisting, meaning I can’t lift theplug. For a long time the handle didn’t lower the plug (I just pushed it down)but now it won’t go up either.

    I’ve unscrewed and removed the handle and tried to turn thebar that the handle turns, but it only rotates about an 8[SUP]th[/SUP] of afull circle. I have tried a bit of force but it won’t go any further. I couldgive it a fair bit of force, but might break it!

    Do any of you have any ideas what has gone wrong? Any suggestions?Should I take the overflow off? Should I check the cable? If do how? So manyquestions.

  2. chris watkins

    chris watkins Plumber

    Time for a new one Dave.

    You can buy a full replacement one.

    REDSAW Well-Known Member

    cables corroded or broke.
    there £25 upwards.
    if you like to fiddle then you can strip and replace with abike brake cable for a couple of quid
  4. chris watkins

    chris watkins Plumber

  5. Howdoi?

    Howdoi? New Member

    Thanks guys. Oh no, I definitely don't like to fiddle. I'll happily get a new one! Just wanted to check that I didn't do something unnecessary.
  6. Howdoi?

    Howdoi? New Member

    One follow up question - is it likely that I'll have to replace the plug too? Or can I get away with just replacing the cable and overflow bit? I could do without ripping out the actual plug if I can help it.
  7. PlumbBobBob

    PlumbBobBob Guest

    most likely you will have to change the whole unit top and bottom parts as one