Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed with Geberit flush pipe seal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Could somebody tell me how you remove the circular clip and rubber seal from a leaking flush pipe connection at the bottom of a Geberit low height concealed cistern. Also is it possible to replace the seal with the cistern and WC in situ?

I am assuming this is a cistern in fitted furniture where access is possible, rather than a tiled in concealed cistern. Are you talking about a bracing clamp that attaches to the flush pipe to prevent this moving back as the pan is connected? If so there is a bolt holding the two halves together. However I personally would leave it alone and remove the pan if the flush cone needs replacing, as if you try and replace it with the pan in situ you have to push it in from an angle and this usually results in a leak.

The unit is fitted in furniture so is partially accessible. There is no clamp because the vertical section of the flush tube is too short (the elbow is very close to the bottom of the cistern). My main problem is removing the plastic clip and seal. Do you just pull the pipe out, or do you have to fiddle around to prise the clip away from the boss on the cistern?

Think we need a photo, never come across a clip on a flush pipe, you sure it doesn't unscrew?

Think we need a photo, never come across a clip on a flush pipe, you sure it doesn't unscrew?

Here's the diagram:-

Geberit.png

Appologies I thought the meant the inner seal , I think you will have to lift the cistern upwards , obviously disconect the water supply unless its plastic and you may have a bit of slack in the pipe , but leave the pan in situ .

Sometimes the flush pipe can be removed but I note yours is very close fitting so as above.

Thanks (that's what thought) but my first problem is how to release the rubber seal & clip. Do I need to prise the clip away from the boss somehow? With the pan and cistern in situ, I would be working blind so that could be tricky. Or can I just give the pipe a good tug downwards? Or is there another way?

First of I`ve never had to touch one but looking at the picture I`m thinking the pipe will disconnect leaving the rest in the cistern. Might use a smear of silicone grease putting it back together?

PITA remove flush pipe remove clip and seal, fit new seal, refit flush pipe then refit clip, if you fit the clip B4 flush pipe its a pig to get flush pipe in.

Just to complete the story on this, I thought I would say what I did in the end. I realised that I couldn't get the flush pipe out (to renew the seal) without removing the WC pan. Also some plumbers reckon that the seal is not very reliable. So I didn't fancy going to all that trouble (or paying somebody else to do it) only to be in a similar position in a couple of years time. I dried off the area where the flush pipe enters the cistern and applied several layers of self amalgamating tape to form a kind of rubber boot around the bottom of the cistern and the top of the flush pipe. It was somewhat awkward to do this (my first attempt wasn't very good), but with care and patience I got a decent result. So far it seems to be working well (no sign of any leak after one week). When the leak first occurred, I put an ice cream container underneath to catch the drips. I have left this in place, and plan to inspect it every few weeks. If the tape continues to work, I will leave well alone. If I have further problems I think I might saw through the flush pipe (so that it can be removed without having to take the WC pan out), replace the seal, and then re-join the pipe using one of those repair couplers consisting of a rubber tube and two jubilee clips.

Returned from holiday to find TWO of my Geberit concealed cisterns leaking, for quite some time behind the scenes judging by the damage! Geberit blame lack of bracing clamp so seal compromised when the loo's were pushed into place - same as poster here, not enough space before elbow to attach the brace (got 3 altogether & all different fitters, none have brace). Gave distinct impression 2 new cisterns required so have started searching for suitable plumber - this thread has saved me hundreds of pounds £££ EXACTLY the same problem, & have ordered clip & washer for less than £4, though will get plumber to remove toilets (other repairs needed to build in cupboards, floors etc). Thanks everyone.

Returned from holiday to find TWO of my Geberit concealed cisterns leaking, for quite some time, behind the scenes, judging by the damage! Geberit blame lack of bracing clamp so seal compromised when the loo's were pushed into place - same as poster here, not enough space before elbow to attach the brace (got 3 altogether & all different fitters, none have brace). Gave distinct impression 2 new cisterns required so have started searching for suitable plumber - this thread has saved me hundreds of pounds £££ EXACTLY the same problem, & have ordered clip & washer for less than £4, though will get plumber to remove toilets (other repairs needed to build in cupboards, floors etc). Thanks everyone.

Apologies, 'newbie' posted twice! Update: toilet definitely needed removing, impossible to get the clip out in-situ, even then it was still held fast so I removed the cistern as well & literally prised the clip out! No need for plumber so far. Just one question, I've been advised to put some rings of silicon round the washer & clip, to prevent any further leaks at that weak place. Not sure if that's a wise move - IF this ever happens again, I'll never be able to dismantle it. ???

In my experience, Gerberit are easy to instal, but a nightmare to maintain. Most seem to be trouble free, but the ones that are not seem to evolve into become an ongoing problem.

If you have had a problem and got to the stage of removing it, my advice would be to replace it with a better product.

Sorry

I think that's a good point, though purchasing a new system would cost a lot more than £4!

Though admittedly we also decided to change the soil pipe bit as well & moved the isolation thingy from the idiotic place it was located (behind the cistern) so an additional £25 in total. 2 novices spent several hours on the whole task including popping to the DiY shops a few times & looking at various 'how to' forums, retired so time had no cost.

Before finding this thread we did seriously considered changing manufacturer, but had not yet sourced one that would utilise the same flush-button hole that is cut in the panel.

We're now confident in doing the same repair on the 2nd toilet much faster & having looked at the internal 'gubbins', & reading suggestions on here, may yet have a go at a 3rd cistern that seems it MAY have started a miniscule 'dribble' effect into the pan- no rush for that though.

Our experience does make your point, 3 Geberits, 2 leaking @ year 7 & the 3rd just starting to dribble @ year 6.

I had a similar issue. The easiest option was to unscrew the cistern and lift it out. . The pipe can be pulled out from the cistern as its a push fitting, and then you can access the rubber seal by pulling out the semi circular clip. Quite easy. The harder part was reinstalling and reconnecting everything with limited access

Where the elbow pipe is short, the easiest option is unscrew and lift out the cistern. It is a push fit into the elbow flush pipe. Then you can remove the rubber seal and clean it (if thats the leak) after removing the plastic clip.

Reply to Help needed with Geberit flush pipe seal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock