Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed taking a tap apart in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwcannon

Hi all

I've got a dripping tap but can't figure out how to take it apart and don't want to damage it by trying incorrectly. I can't see anyway to separate the tap to get inside and there is nothing to pry off that I can see.

any advice gratefully received.

cheers
Drw image.jpgimage.jpg

ps sorry pics are sideways, can't figure out how to rotate.

Do any of the 4 handles unscrew at all? No Grub screw on the back?

If not sometimes the head just needs a firm tug to get off....

The top of the crosshead could be a very thin cap that will unscrew to reveal a fixing screw.

When chrome cap that the spindle passes through is unscrewed it may allow the spindle to lift up.

I'd favour the above post, grub screw under 1 handle.

in the fist photo ther is a lump at the back of the spindle is this a grub screw (allen key type)

Thanks for replies.
I can't see any lumps or things that could screw off. The top (where the letter is, is solid as far as I can see).

Going to try wrapping something round the tap handle and see if any of them unscrew.

There is a line about half way down that might be hiding a break but it does just look like a groove (hidden under lime scale :blush5:)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ok so part 1 of the mystery solved.

Each spindle unscrews and then the top half of the body unscrews and lifts up and off revealing the nut underneath.

image.jpg
image.jpg

So now that I have the tap apart and water turned off, what's next? You might have guessed this is my first attempt at plumbing.

I guess I clean it up and then undo the nut to release the washer?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Seems to be a circlip or something in there which I assume needs removing? Perhaps time to watch a few YouTube clips and read my diy manual.

Update:
Ok so I'm trying to unscrew the nut (anti clockwise) and it's not budging and starting to round the brass nut.

Have soaked in penetrating fluid but worried going to bugger up the tap if I keep trying.

Any pointers would be great.

Many thanks for help so far.

Cheers

Drw

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a decent fitting spanner on that nut and shouldn't round, the whole body should come out. Hold the tap

That circlip most likely stays on unless you need to get to the inside

If the bottom washer isn't in bad condition, turning it over sometimes fixes it

And you'll probably need new o ring in there

So the flat open ended spanner rounded the nut a bit more and wasn't budging, looked at buying a tap splitter but decided at £36 I might as well get nice new shiny taps and replace both. £30 later two taps and hoses from Screwfix and a few hours swearing they are attached. Getting the old olives off was fun and ended up having to hacksaw through but all done and the stupid dripping tap is no longer annoying me.

image.jpg

Thanks for the advice

if i had read this 9 hours ago, i would have said get new tap.lool

New pair of good quality taps needed. You will probably scratch it up trying to get it apart. Put you hand in your pocket is my advise.

Would probably have been easier with a 6 sided ring spanner (if I could have got it over the top) but the splitters did make it look easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed taking a tap apart in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock