Search the forum,

Discuss Help identifying what pipes are in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Hi

DIYer here - confident in doing compression fittings on water pipes - but obviously not able to work with gas.

I need to remove some pipes as shown in the photo below. I intend to cut them off and put stop ends on them.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AutS6uK5ubo1hv8pI79EFv0pVUDyWA

The 2 short ones against the wall need to be cut off below floor level (I can lift one of the floorboards up and access them).

The house has a new combi boiler and there was a cupboard here before which housed part of the old boiler. I presume it was a gravity fed boiler like this in image below and the tank would have been in this cupboard with the actual boiler somewhere else.

gravityfed400%20withtext%20copy.jpg

The 2 pipes on the wall going up are part of the new boiler and I think are pipes that go to the loft to then feed other rooms.

---
Of the 2 pipes I need to cut

1 - the one with the stopcock feels empty - certainly does not feel like it has mains water in it - but when you put the kitchen tap on it does rattle which suggests it may be connected somewhere?

2 - the 22mm pipe immediatley becomes 15mm under the ground - this is the one concerns me that may be gas.

(BTW is it possible these 2 could be the old measurement pipe diameter? If so how do I tell?) The house is quite old.

So as mentioned my actual concern is whether any of these these are gas pipes. If I am right that it was a tank up here then I presume that it would only have had water pipes going in. Therefore I should be able to cut them off safely.

Anyone know with any certainty what these pipes are based on info given?

To be honest it sounds like you really need a pro to look at this on site

stopcock pipe will be cold feed to old F/E
22mm thinking flow or return for the coil or hot feed from cylinder

get a guy in to rip out everything you dont need

get a guy in to rip out everything you dont need

With it being relativley minor was hoping to sort it msyelf but the more practical problem round here is actually finding someone withavailability who can come out within a reasonable time and will charge a semi reasonable fee.

At this stage I think I will just try and cap the stopcock one a bit closer to ground level and leave the other one.

I suspect they're still connected.

Cold mains to stop tap and possibly return from cylinder is the other

If the 22mm one gets warm when hot water is being used then there's your answer.
As for metric imperial, how close is your nearest plumbers merchant? If close enough then just cut it and see if the 22mm olive fits snugly, if not then nip to the merchants and get a 3/4 olive for it, you can still use the 22mm stop end but with the imperial olive. As for the 15mm one, there's not enough difference to warrant a different fitting or olive in my experience a 15mm fitting is fine on a half inch pipe, just use a smear of paste for belt and braces if you feel inclined.

Thanks

I will test out to see if the 22mm gets hot.

Would you be comfortable with pipes capped off under the floor with compression fittings assuming of course we leave them exposed for a few hours to ensure they are not leaking.

Other option is to leave exposed but cut them short so if they ever leak at least it is above ground but behind a cupboard.

I'd be comfortable if I was the one doing it, wouldn't trust anyone else, however if I was doing it I would solder them, if you're not up to that, you could ask a local plumber, you turn water off, drain down, lift the floorboard, cut and clean the pipes and ask a plumber to solder the caps on. Will just be a minimum charge that way.

Thanks for the help

The short one was hot and the tall one cold.

I have fitted a compression fitting to the cold - cut it down same height as the hot - not leaked yet

I was doing it for my sister and she is happy to leave them surface mounted as it will be covered by a bed.

I've got another problem replacing her shower though - see seperate thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help identifying what pipes are in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock