Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss HELP! Can I unscrew towel rad valve? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Richard Skerritt

Richard Skerritt New Member

Hi guys
    I have a leak as per pic 1 and looks like new valve is needed.
    Obtained a new one but wary bout unscrewing bottom - pic 2 shows valve, as this feeds straight from the copper pipe which is the water.. I assume I can use stop cock to halt supply, but im more Interested that has a plumber got the tools that's needed to not damage pipework before unscrewing and then screwing new one on which will be sealed correctly? Thanks guy's

IMG_0848.JPG

View attachment 30799

IMG_0849.JPG

2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It will need a drain down to change it a pro plumber may be able to lock the system up and swap it but i would not advise you doing it yourself . Cheers kop

3. 1Steven

1Steven Plumber GSR

Yes drain down needed.

4. Richard Skerritt

Thanks guy's. This only happened after I removed the rad due to a rawplug coming loose from wall which then got fixed. I was OK removing the top nut to just enable me to empty the rad. But looking again at that slow drip you can see, is a replacement valve the only solution?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

If it isn't dripping more than a drop or two, you might find it will fur up and seize if you are in a hard-water area, particularly once the heating season starts. Then it won't drip any more. Not what I would recommend, but if you are really skint...

6. Richard Skerritt

Hi, yes I did think that once the heating was on more it may fur up- but I think the drip is about a medicine syringe measure in about 2/3 days... I have bought a new valve but of course it looks like a Pro Plumber is needed to actually fit it.. :-(

7. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

My feeling is that is probably slow enough to fur up. And yes, agree with others you will need a plumber to fit the new valve.