Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Bottom-Entry Valve to short to connect to new isolating valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Hi All

I have replaced my toilets Bottom Entry valve and replaced the isolating service valve on the existing pipe. Problem I have is the bottom entry valve thread is just to short to reach the isolating valve for me to screw it in. (Picture attached)

Any tips on resolving this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

image1.JPG

Fit a normal isolator further down and use a small section of copper with a new tap connector , you can buy a speedfit type push fit if you dont solder

Does the pipe lift up at all ??

If it doesn't you have two options

One : fit a coupling lower down and add a new piece of pipe

Two : 1/2 female iron with a rubber washer

Both of these will require a new fibre washer on the service valve

Does the pipe lift up at all ??

If it doesn't you have two options

One : fit a coupling lower down and add a new piece of pipe

Two : 1/2 female iron with a rubber washer

Both of these will require a new fibre washer on the service valve

Cheers for the help. The picture is with the pipe lifted up.

So if i get a 1/2 female iron can i just connect one end straight to the plastic thread and other end straight into the isolating valve thats already on? (inserting a new washer for both connections)

Or if you buy a full bore isolator that is the type that has a fair space between the pipe stop distance, then that might make up the difference for you. I think the gain would be about 20 - 25mm maybe

So if i get a 1/2 female iron can i just connect one end straight to the plastic thread and other end straight into the isolating valve thats already on? (inserting a new washer for both connections)

You could do that, but trouble is not ideal as you will have a sharp tapered edge hitting the washer in your isolating valve. Really better with a flat surface against the washer

Yes normally rubber washer for inside the female iron and red fibre washers for the valve

You could do that, but trouble is not ideal as you will have a sharp tapered edge hitting the washer in your isolating valve. Really better with a flat surface against the washer

File it flat takes 1 minute to do but ops choice

Yes, Shaun means file the brass tapered end of the brass female iron - the part where you normally put a copper pipe and nut and olive.
Cheers guys.

Would it make any difference connecting the isolating service valve to the plastic inlet first then trying to push the pipe up to connect to the bottom of the isolating valve with a little more force?

Hell no , never force anything thats plastic , unless you want to flood your house

Cheers guys.

Would it make any difference connecting the isolating service valve to the plastic inlet first then trying to push the pipe up to connect to the bottom of the isolating valve with a little more force?

put it on the inlet valve first (ball / float valve)

then tighten onto service valve while holding the female iron to stop it tightening more onto the plastic threads

Is that file the female iron flat?

Cheers for your help

yes where the nut and olive are just to flatten out the edge so isnt sharp (wont take much)

thats the cookie

dont forget your washers tho

one rubber one and one fibre one

all good advise above. I would personally cut the pipe and just solder a coupler into the pipework. It does not look like you need that much play to be honest.
Thanks for all the advice. Another idea I had was to use a flexible tap connector with a valve instead. Would that be a workable option?

Thanks for all the advice. Another idea I had was to use a flexible tap connector with a valve instead. Would that be a workable option?

would work but wouldnt look as good upto you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! Bottom-Entry Valve to short to connect to new isolating valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock