Search the forum,

Discuss Help/advice wanted Ideal Elan 2 (very noisy high pitched whistle) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod Lyne

Hello folks, I am new to the forum and would just like to say any help would be greatly appreciated.
My mother is a pensioner who lives on her own since my dad passed away. She rang me up asking what she should do about her boiler as it is making a hell of a noise.
A new replacement boiler is not an option (she just hasn't got the money)
It's an Ideal Elan 2 with Honeywell control panel.
She had a plumber out a couple of months ago who replaced the wiring to the wall mounted control unit and replaced a valve that he sheared in the process (this cost her £300)
Now it has developed a new problem.
Every time it cuts in the gas burner stays on full power and there is a high pitched whistling throughout the house emanating from the boiler (the high low settings on the boiler don't seem to make any difference to this at all)
Fortunately it is quite warm at the moment and she can live with the gas fire only, but this wont be the case for long.
The boiler is set up to provide central heating and to assist an immersion type hot water system.
Both heating and water still work it's the noise that's the problem and the fact that the boiler stays on full when it's lit.
She is using the electric immersion heater on its own at present and that appears to be fine.
Does anybody have any idea as to what may be causing the problem and more to the point can it be repaired reasonably cheaply ??, Is it dangerous ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and then at least I may be able to source some parts.

Thanks in advance

Rod

You need a good gsr engineer. Other than telling you that, that's as far as it goes. Ask about for a recommendation or post in the 'I'm looking for a plumber' section on here.

Hi sorry to hear about the problems you are having. For reasons of safety we cannot and will not give out advice relating to gas work to the public. The best thing to do is get a gas safe registered engineer in. Or even put your location on here and someone close by could possibly help

Hi folks, Thanks for the replies.
I don't think the problem relates to leaking gas or anything in that respect, it's as it the water may be getting too hot perhaps something like that

Again thanks for the replies though

My mum lives in Hornses HU18 by the way

Hi folks, Thanks for the replies.
I don't think the problem relates to leaking gas or anything in that respect, it's as it the water may be getting too hot perhaps something like that

Again thanks for the replies though

My mum lives in Hornses HU18 by the way

Is that Hornsea, Rod? I used to live in Bridlington just up the road. I think Tamz has given you the best route if your mam qualifies. I think we have a message on the phone nearly everyday saying we hav'nt applied for our 'free' boiler.

Yes it is Hornsea (my typo) just getting in touch with ECO now

Wish me luck folks :-{ )>

Has anybody heard of CHARIS in relation to boiler assistance

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help/advice wanted Ideal Elan 2 (very noisy high pitched whistle) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Equipment The shower (a cold feed electric unit) and the Kingspan tank are on the top floor of a 3 storey building. The Ideal Boiler Logic Heat 15 boiler is on the ground floor. The house is 9 years old in May. Both the boiler and Kingspan tank have been serviced in the last month. The shower...
Replies
Views
J
We’re thinking of replacing our veritable Ideal Mexico Floor Standing Boiler (installed by me in 1985 and pretty much reliable ever since!) with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi boiler. Question: How noisy is it? We’re OK with the noise from our old boiler but we’re worried about any...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi first time poster, My elderly Aunts bungalows heating system, Ideal e type cf floor mounted boiler, yes I know it's ancient however she steadfastly refuses to have it changed even when offered a free boiler grant. Long and short her hot water is now getting boiling hot, I suspect its either...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock