Search the forum,

Discuss hello plumbing forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mandysmith

just had a plumber lay new copper piping in my bathroom and the piping on the bends are very stretched and corrugated. ( more corrugation than my old tin shed)

is this detrimental to the pipe as it is going to be behind wetwall.

they have also used some OLD copper piping in places under the floorboards, is this normal practice the plumber said when it looks ok then it is...

not sure if im being lead on a string... PLEASE HELP.

Hi,
It looks like he used an internal spring instead of a pipe bender, you get wrinkles on the inside radius when you use a spring. Not pretty but should be ok.
As for the old pipes, it depends what you paid for, if he quoted for new then should use new.

Hi,
It looks like he used

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
It looks like he used an internal spring instead of a pipe bender, you get wrinkles on the inside radius when you use a spring. Not pretty but should be ok.
As for the old pipes, it depends what you paid for, if he quoted for new then should use new.

Not quite true

It can happen when using a bender either formers arnt clean or cheap copper pipe

Op

It won't make too much difference but if on show get them to replace them

And any new piping should be with new pipe

Its usually called 'throating' with benders and my 22mm Hilmor former had just started doing it. It looks unsightly but it ok.

Was Wednesbury copper so good stuff.
Cleaned the former with rockwool and sprayed it with silicon and its fine now.
Looked like i got flux on it and caused the issue once it dried up and became gummy.
So used to good bends i didnt realise til near end of job !!!

Cheap crap benders can also do it even when new.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the plumber thinks it is acceptable to have wrinkled copper bends, then I wouldn't want him doing my work. Copper pipe these days is poor enough and creasing it is not good, although seen plenty that has lasted years.
A decent bending machine and well maintained with just an occasional clean with wire wool or emery cloth and spray of oil and never much bother.
As to the plumber using some of the existing copper pipe, - he could be right, but the "if it looks okay, then it is.." isn't always true. My way of doing things is I remove any pipework that is easy to do in a new bathroom job. Silly leaving a couple of feet of pipe just to save a few minutes and a couple of quid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hello plumbing forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock