Search the forum,

Discuss Heating System Isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChrisKing

Hi Forum,

What valves can i use to isolate a section of my heating system 22mm in size. Do they make a pushfit version?

cheers

Chris

gate valves ...right...so i can fit a couple of gate valves on the flow and return above my open vented boiler,close and run,no probs,few clues in above,glad you are gas safe and hopefully signed up for gas awareness week...

where are the valves going/ being installed op?

gate valves ...right...so i can fit a couple of gate valves on the flow and return above my open vented boiler,close and run,no probs,few clues in above,glad you are gas safe and hopefully signed up for gas awareness week...

The question was about isolating the sections of a heating system if you read it.

Try not to be condescending and pay more mind to being helpful.

I have been an Industrial Commercial and Domestic Heating Engineer for 28 years, So I do know not to valve off a boiler as you suggested !

What has Gas awareness week got to do with Heating system sections ?

Lever valves for water & gas can be full bore, take your point about being serviceable though.

They're full bore valves designed for the open vented system circuits we're discussing.

They have less restriction / frictional resistances to ball valves.

They're serviceable !

I've come across lever (full-bore) valves and gate valves from the early 90's in the same block of residential flats, guess which ones didn't work......

I agree gate valves are serviceable but there are two issues. One, if they worked as well as a branded full bore lever they wouldn't need servicing. Two, if you service a gate valve for a customer and it then fails, you end up getting it in the neck from the customer....

"it was fine till you touched it" etc etc....

Hi Forum,

What valves can i use to isolate a section of my heating system 22mm in size. Do they make a pushfit version?

cheers

Chris

Don`t know if the usual plastic push fit valves are full bore or not but do know the beggers start leaking whenever I go near them. lol

I've come across lever (full-bore) valves and gate valves from the early 90's in the same block of residential flats, guess which ones didn't work......

I agree gate valves are serviceable but there are two issues. One, if they worked as well as a branded full bore lever they wouldn't need servicing. Two, if you service a gate valve for a customer and it then fails, you end up getting it in the neck from the customer....

"it was fine till you touched it" etc etc....

I agree. The problem a lot of the time is that decent quality 'lever type' ball valves are on the shelf. However, most shelf stocked small gates, 15mm or 22mm are Crud !
If you buy gates like Crane, the quality is very good. It's all a matter of opinion though.

Yup, I've had some of the own brand ones where the thread for splitting the valve is way to slack for comfort :)

lever ball valves in plumbing is quite recent in plumbing 10 years or so I recon

lever ball valves in plumbing is quite recent in plumbing 10 years or so I recon

A lot longer than that. But really only became extremely popular with plumbers as we became more aware of them and their quality and the merchants started stocking plenty.
I know I was using full flow lever valves about 20 years ago and they probably were frequently used 30 years ago for some jobs.

Last edited:
Think I used a full bore valve about 31 years 2 months ago..remember it was Christmas time '85,got called on a wed night about 8.45 pm....

Think I used a full bore valve about 31 years 2 months ago..remember it was Christmas time '85,got called on a wed night about 8.45 pm....

That must have been Xmas day as 25th Dec 1985 was a Wednesday..

Unless it was the week before on the 18th.?

Calendar 1985

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your comments, I need to isolate the furthest point of my heating system to make some building alterations. I have since found a Pegler lever ball valve for Water, Steam, Oil and Air so am going to try them. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating System Isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock