Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Heating System Isolation valves in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. ChrisKing

ChrisKing New Member

Hi Forum,

What valves can i use to isolate a section of my heating system 22mm in size. Do they make a pushfit version?

cheers

Chris

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Gate valves.
    Not sure on push fit because I don't use them.

3. drip-dry

drip-dry Active Member

gate valves ...right...so i can fit a couple of gate valves on the flow and return above my open vented boiler,close and run,no probs,few clues in above,glad you are gas safe and hopefully signed up for gas awareness week...

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

where are the valves going/ being installed op?

5. thereisawizza

thereisawizza Plumber GSR

Gate valves? Bit last century :)

6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Thinking lever valves are more reliable and quicker to turn off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

The question was about isolating the sections of a heating system if you read it.

Try not to be condescending and pay more mind to being helpful.

I have been an Industrial Commercial and Domestic Heating Engineer for 28 years, So I do know not to valve off a boiler as you suggested !

What has Gas awareness week got to do with Heating system sections ?

8. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

They're full bore valves designed for the open vented system circuits we're discussing.

They have less restriction / frictional resistances to ball valves.

They're serviceable !

• Like Like x 1
  9. rpm

Lever valves for water & gas can be full bore, take your point about being serviceable though.

10. thereisawizza

I've come across lever (full-bore) valves and gate valves from the early 90's in the same block of residential flats, guess which ones didn't work....

I agree gate valves are serviceable but there are two issues. One, if they worked as well as a branded full bore lever they wouldn't need servicing. Two, if you service a gate valve for a customer and it then fails, you end up getting it in the neck from the customer..

"it was fine till you touched it" etc etc..

11. rpm

Don`t know if the usual plastic push fit valves are full bore or not but do know the beggers start leaking whenever I go near them. lol

12. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

I agree. The problem a lot of the time is that decent quality 'lever type' ball valves are on the shelf. However, most shelf stocked small gates, 15mm or 22mm are Crud !
    If you buy gates like Crane, the quality is very good. It's all a matter of opinion though.

13. thereisawizza

Yup, I've had some of the own brand ones where the thread for splitting the valve is way to slack for comfort :)

14. quality

quality Plumber GSR

lever ball valves in plumbing is quite recent in plumbing 10 years or so I recon

15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

A lot longer than that. But really only became extremely popular with plumbers as we became more aware of them and their quality and the merchants started stocking plenty.
    I know I was using full flow lever valves about 20 years ago and they probably were frequently used 30 years ago for some jobs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016