Search the forum,

Discuss Heating/mid point valve problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Jones

Dear All,

My first post and request for help. My daughter has recently bought her first house and we have been refurbishing for her. Having replaced all rads and valves we are ready for the CH/HW to go on, however we have a problem as follows:-

When the programmer is on CH & HW she gets CH and little HW but the boiler keeps cutting off on the overheat button. Having checked we have replaced the room stat for the same model so easy wiring. We also swapped the tank stat for ease and the mid point valve appears relatively new.

The mid point valve indicator (Drayton) shows C on the indicator when both CH and HW on the programmer.

When we have HW only on the programmer the valve moves to mid point but rads also get hot and remain so even of the room stat is turned down. The valve never appears to get to the H setting only. When HW is cut off by the tank stat the valve returns to C so tank stat obviously works.

Could it be the valve sticking or is there a wiring mess up between the programmer and valve

Many thanks

If you don't already have one, get a 10 terminal screw connector wiring centre. Download a Drayton Y Plan wiring diagram and work methodically connecting as shown.
If you already have one make sure it's wired accordingly.

the boiler keeps cutting off on the overheat button.
Could it be the valve sticking or is there a wiring mess up between the programmer and valve

As its new to you, I suppose you don't know if it ever worked.
could be sticking valve or wiring, but might be more issues.
time to get someone local to take a look.

Dear all, an update on the problem. The spindle to the mid point valve was sheared meaning the actuator was doing nothing to change the valve position. Now replaced and the system sort of working but not as it should.
When programmer on HW only we have to turn the room stat down to minimum for the valve to move to H and not heat the rads as well. Turn the room stat up and the valve moves to either M or C depending on hot water temperature. So system works as it should only when the programmer is on HW only and heating controlled by the room stat.

When programmer on CH & HW the valve does not move from C meaning no hot water.
Haven't checked the programmer wiring but could it just be wired back to front?

Also the programmer is a Drayton 102 which does not appear to have a wiring diagram for a three port valve included on two port - is this programmer capable of running the system correctly?

Hi Steve,

Yes the piping is correct. I have realised the previous owner took the controller off to tile - possibly crossed wires on refitting?

Everything appears to work as it should but opposite to the programmer settings

Y Plan Wiring.jpg

if you can if not get a spark in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating/mid point valve problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock