Search the forum,

Discuss Heating Bangs when switching off. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would drain down and wack some x800 in the system for a week then drain it down again and fresh inhb

I already did flush and the water ran clean. I opened all the bleed valves to get all the water out. The pump was old, dated year 2000 so it needed replacing anyway.

Just updating again on this. I refitted the radiator and now the heating Bangs even more. Really am at a loss. Anybody with any further ideas.

The fact that you have water flowing out the vent pipe when the system shuts down indicates you still have a fault, probably a blockage somewhere near the expansion pipe. You could try turning the speed on the pump down to its minimum to see if the noise reduces. Another thing to try would be to remove the rad again, empty it, refit, turn on the valves but don't bleed it. (it should act as an expansion vessel).
One thing i noticed looking at the pictures is the vent from the boiler looks like its running horizontal along the ceiling, so it may be possible that the system has an air lock.

Forgot to say, that as you mentioned the amount of muck in the magnet suggests that the system needs a good clean.

Forgot to say, that as you mentioned the amount of muck in the magnet suggests that the system needs a good clean.
Thanks for your advice. The pipe or pipes running across the garage ceiling are the flow and return to the boiler. The vent pipe is in the airing cupboard and goes about 18 inches abouve the header tank in the loft. When filling the heating back up after draining it doesn't bang, it's only when all the air is out the system so similar to your radiator test. Turning the pump down reduced the bang noise.

Cheers.

Paul.

Got a picture of the new by-pass that’s been fitted ? Hard to tell from airing cupboard picture but is the open vent an cold feed teeing in just before pump

Got a picture of the new by-pass that’s been fitted ? Hard to tell from airing cupboard picture but is the open vent an cold feed teeing in just before pump

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

Where's the bypass valve all I see is a full bore ISO valve ?

The valve put in on the by-pass looks like a ball fix turned 1/3 off have you tried opening this fully an seeing if this stops the banging
*shaun beat me to it,but that isn’t correct for a by-pass that’s why you still have the banging

The plumber said it didn't need one, I thought it might and I asked again whether it needed to be 22mm. I can change it myself if you are able to advise what to get and where to put it. If the valve is fully open then yes it does stop it banging.

One question, I have lived in the house for 13 years without a single bang. Why would this start after removing the radiator.

The valve put in on the by-pass looks like a ball fix turned 1/3 off have you tried opening this fully an seeing if this stops the banging
*shaun beat me to it,but that isn’t correct for a by-pass that’s why you still have the banging

The plumber said it didn't need one, I thought it might and I asked again whether it needed to be 22mm. I can change it myself if you are able to advise what to get and where to put it. If the valve is fully open then yes it does stop it banging.

One question, I have lived in the house for 13 years without a single bang. Why would this start after removing the radiator.

I didn’t even pick up on that it was 15mm,that won’t help an then with the type of valve that will neither. You’ve said that with it fully open the banging stops.I could only say that since the 13years you’ve been there that the pipework /heatexchanger has become restricted.

I didn’t even pick up on that it was 15mm,that won’t help an then with the type of valve that will neither. You’ve said that with it fully open the banging stops.I could only say that since the 13years you’ve been there that the pipework /heatexchanger has become restricted.

Cheers for your help. Could you tell me what valve I need and where it should go.
I assume the valve is operated by bar pressure

One final question.

Should I fit the new 22mm auto bypass valve to replace what is there or should it go after the pump but before the motorised valves.

Thanks. Paul

Has a Plumber put that in?

Hi sorry couldn't reply properly earlier.

Yes following your previous advice a plumber did fit it, new pump, new valve and I fitted the magnaguard. It stopped for a few days but when the air was completely out of the system it started again. I questioned whether a 22mm auto bypass valve was required and he said this will do the same.
I am perfectly capable of fitting it myself but am not sure where to fit it. Do I install in the same place or before the valves but after the pump.

I even re installed the radiator and it bangs.
Cheers. Paul.

It will do there if it is 22mm and automatic. I am presuming you have a 3 mtr min loop from boiler and back to boiler via by-pass?

upload_2017-11-15_20-11-6.jpeg

It will do there if it is 22mm and automatic. I am presuming you have a 3 mtr min loop from boiler and back to boiler via by-pass?

View attachment 31830

The distance from the boiler to the by pass is about ten meters. I will change the size of the plumbing and use solder joints as it looks a bit messy. I can fit it somewhere else if it works better. I would rather it be correct. Wish I had done the work myself.

Does the pressure have to be regulated by the pump flow speed. Cheers.

The distance from the boiler to the by pass is about ten meters. I will change the size of the plumbing and use solder joints as it looks a bit messy. I can fit it somewhere else if it works better. I would rather it be correct. Wish I had done the work myself.

Does the pressure have to be regulated by the pump flow speed. Cheers.

It's fine there, 22mm with either a straight valve like the one I showed you or an angled one where the elbow is

I
Pump is on 2 as the system is quite large 12 rads.
Cheers.

If it works well it's fine. You want them on the lowest setting that works and gives the right flow and return temps.

With the valve:-
screw it shut, turn on the heating and hot water so both Motorised valves are open and the pipes start to get hot. Slowly open the Auto by-pass 1/4 turn at a time, (a few seconds in between turning), until you feel hot water flow through the by-pass. Then close it back around a half turn.

That's the best explanation I can give on a Forum. I would be going to greater lengths to set things up and balance the system if I were doing this in person but it will do!

I

If it works well it's fine. You want them on the lowest setting that works and gives the right flow and return temps.

With the valve:-
screw it shut, turn on the heating and hot water so both Motorised valves are open and the pipes start to get hot. Slowly open the Auto by-pass 1/4 turn at a time, (a few seconds in between turning), until you feel hot water flow through the by-pass. Then close it back around a half turn.

That's the best explanation I can give on a Forum. I would be going to greater lengths to set things up and balance the system if I were doing this in person but it will do!

Thanks I'll do it on Saturday and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Please do come back and tell us how you went on.
Hi.

I fitted the valve where suggested and unfortunately it still bangs, perhaps even louder. I can't get water to run through the valve unless I restrict the hot water flow, even with it turned down to 0.1 bar, the lowest it will go.

Picture attached.

Cheers.

IMG_3234.JPG

Okay. That's fine. If you were running it in flashing mode, then it would not be running fixed-speed, and the automatic bypass valve wouldn't be able to work as it should.

Okay. That's fine. If you were running it in flashing mode, then it would not be running fixed-speed, and the automatic bypass valve wouldn't be able to work as it should.

I'm not sure it is. I can only get water to flow through when I restrict the flow on the hot water.

I would have thought 0.01 bar would be open all the time. Any suggestions.

Cheers.

When you say restrict the flow on hot water,is this when the system is running eg demand from heating/hot water? The hot water coil should have a balancing valve on it that should be restricted (which from the pic you have one after the 2port) to stop the heat just whizzing around the coil and giving less to heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Bangs when switching off. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock