Search the forum,

Discuss Heating an airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hang trousers etc in my airing cupboard to final dry, in the winter this is easy, as the hot water cylinder and CH pump keep a slight warmth.

However in the summer....the CH pump only comes on for the hot water and doesn't really keep the airing cupboard warm enough.

1-I could get a small electric radiator e.g. Greenhouse style or
2-install a very small water radiator and use a micro bore pipe to the inlet to the outlet of the CH pump, would only need a very small flow, can even use a thermostat valve......so not sure if this idea feasible.....

No.1 is the easiest, fastest and cheapest option for a diyer.

Thanks, agreed, but option 2 is so much cheaper, gas 30% the price of night electricity and 10% of day rate.

Maybe if I make two connections off the CH pump outlet so The flow won't be high, but don't need a lot and connect to a copper loop or a very small rad.

my vote for an elec either panel or tube heater,

rad wont be must cop unless its on for an hour or two

Thanks, agreed, but option 2 is so much cheaper, gas 30% the price of night electricity and 10% of day rate.

Maybe if I make two connections off the CH pump outlet so The flow won't be high, but don't need a lot and connect to a copper loop or a very small rad.

Sounds like you made your mind up before posting tbh.

you could rig a little rad up to the HW circuit but it would only heat the rad up untill the stat was satisfied and then obviously turn the boiler off

All airing cupboards I've seen are kept warm off the cylinder heat losses.

Only time I fit a rad in an airing cupboard is on a vented to combi swap. I always offer the cust option of a rad in there.

In response to rpm, no I haven't already made my mind up, that is why I posted the question, I wanted to know the feasibility of making an in out connection to the outlet of the CH pump or one to the inlet and one to the outlet, so this would essentially short circuit the pump, but would be only a minor flow.....not sure if I would even get a flow if in and out were both connected to the pump outlet..........and with all the insulation on pump cylinder etc it stays quite cool in the summer with hot water only heating

Mr @Disaster Area , where you connect your conections, if you go ahead is critical or you might live up to your name, ask a plumber to call round and give you a price .

You will not create a circuit by connecting both rad inlet & outlet to one side of the pump, need a flow & return.
Other errors in the project have been exposed.

No bud wont work , without major work not worth the effort and cost in my opinion go electric tube heaters run for pence a hour. Cheers kop

Probably right, the electric heater will not be on much, such a small cupboard.......
Used to have an old boiler where the HW circuit was a thermo syphon, guess the height of a HW cylinder not enough differential to achieve this through some exposed copper pipe...

Thanks everyone......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating an airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock