Search the forum,

Discuss Heat loss calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PH951

Up to now I have been happy using online heat loss calculations for sizing rads, But I have been asked to quote for a 300 year old farm house. (Complete new system) The house is 200m2 with stone floors and all external walls are between 500mm and 1000m thick stone with rubble infill. I can't find any calculators with options for stone floors and walls of this build. I think it will be a case of working out btu's by using the worst settings on the heat loss calc then adding something like 40% to each room.

Maybe time to buy a mears calculator.

If anyone has any advice I would be very interested to here.

you could use the whole house method to give you an idea of what is required for the full property, other than that i would do it long hand

Well I better get it right because only the bedrooms are getting TRV's And it will be powered by a heat pump so each rad will need to be 30% bigger than the heat loss calcs results.

use the calculator for m the heating and hot water information council
its in depth and very accurate

Those on line calculators are rubbish

Thanks chaterGAS, is this the one?
[DLMURL="http://www.centralheating.co.uk/index/fuseaction/site.articleDetail/con_id/5525"]About HHIC's Heat Loss Calculator - Heating and Hotwater Industry Council (HHIC)[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I better get it right because only the bedrooms are getting TRV's And it will be powered by a heat pump so each rad will need to be 30% bigger than the heat loss calcs results.
why do they need to be 30% bigger?

are u thinking of the running temps being lower? dont worry, the rad outputs have been corrected to suit lower flow/return temps. anyway, 95% of the time a rad will be way way oversized anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat loss calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock