Search the forum,

Discuss Heat Exchanger leaking - advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

We have a 4 year old boiler. Was serviced the other day and the engineer explained the heat exchanger is leaking. Also the system is asking for water (F and E tank in the attic is constantly dripping/clear of the overflow). We are at a bit of a loss as to what has happened. At first thought a leak but no sign anywhere and only section of system where pipes go underfloor is limestone which is notoriously absorbent (i.e. we would know if a leak). No other damp patches/leaking rads etc. My question is, is it unheard of for a heat exchanger on a 4 year old boiler to break? When was installed system was flushed out with all additives/inhibitors etc added. Have bled radiator today and water is clear/no sludge. Boiler is under warranty but we are worried an underlying cause is going unnoticed. Assume dripping into F and E tank is due to the leak from the heat exchanger. Any advice/opinion as to what we do next welcome

What's the boiler ?

Boiler internally or do you have the external model

Is this a condensing boiler if so could it be leaking internally and out of the condensate pipe

Hi, it is the condensing boiler. This leak is separate to the condensing pipe (he showed me the electronic control box full of water which he has temporarily replaced with another as the original blew about 6 hours after he left)

Contact the manufacturer first have the installation details to hand but dont hold your breath, you will need to have it repaired or replaced best of luck. kop

Thanks. We have contacted them and they have been very helpful. Just worried that there is something else or is it likely there is another underlying issue?

Let them come check it out even if there is a cost you can always claim a refund if it's proved it's a manufacturing fault cheers kop .

It does happen on the odd one on all makes of boilers.
But if your system was pumping up into the f&e tank or absorbing air elsewhere, then the steel parts of system will corrode and pin hole.
A sealed heating system is the best system, if all the pipe work and valves are sound.
Hopefully your boiler is just a faulty one and you get a new boiler shell or complete boiler for free.
Could you put on a couple photos of boiler install, as well as airing cupboard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat Exchanger leaking - advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock