Search the forum,

Discuss Heat exchanger died on my watch today... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Was changing 3 rad valves on a combi in a flat. Create a vaccuum to avoid drain down, changed the valves, re-filled and then when I turned off the filling loop noticed the pressur guage kept creeping up. Checked filling loop wasn't passing. Even when detatched and with the house mains off (i was trying everything to reassure myself) it kept creeping up until I let the pressure out again. I phoned tech support (i'm not gas safe, don't know nowt about boilers) for Worcester (was a greenstar junior 24) and they said it meant heat exchanger went. They said it couldn't have been anything I did. Landlord was totally cool about it, I recommended a local gas safe guy to look at it.

My questions are:

1) Was tech support correct?

2) How common is this? I've done this kind of job many hundreds of times and not had it but may have been unusually lucky.

3) How was the pressure going up? Where was the extra water coming from?

how did you create the vacuum ? also doesnt sound like the heat exchanger if the mains water was off

Actually I'm not 100% sure now but I think I saw it rising very very slowly with mains off. But def rising with mains on.

I created vacuum by running off some water from filling loop into a bucket. Something I've only done for second time today - hope it's not a bad idea for some reason...

Usually I do it from a rad valve but sometimes when they don't shut off or look knackered it's a pain. Have tried releasing some pressure from bleed screw on small systems but takes ages.

Actually I'm not 100% sure now but I think I saw it rising very very slowly with mains off. But def rising with mains on.

I created vacuum by running off some water from filling loop into a bucket. Something I've only done for second time today - hope it's not a bad idea for some reason...

Usually I do it from a rad valve but sometimes when they don't shut off or look knackered it's a pain. Have tried releasing some pressure from bleed screw on small systems but takes ages.

sounds like it but as your not gas safe cant go into detail

and never done that before just normally drain down

Is it a bad idea? Makes it lots quicker. I was done in 45 mins.

tbh i dont know as ive never done it maybe one of the other lads/ladys have and can say yes or no

I do it all the time, either from a drain off or a rad valve. The fact you did it from a filling loop wont have made any difference. Its much easier than a full drain down, exactly like bunging a vented system.
Its either an unlucky coincidence or it just want picked up on before as the pressure had levelled out between the water main and the central heating system. If the mains only has a standing pressure of 1.5-2 bar then it could easily go unnoticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat exchanger died on my watch today... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock