Discuss Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Plumbing Wholesaler in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Lou

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Subscribed
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME!

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK, WHATSAPP, FACEBOOK GROUPS, OTHER FORUMS ETC WE WILL BE PUSHING THIS HARD FOR A FEW MONTHS.

Please join in and help make the thread have lots of long decent posts in them. It'll really help the forum out.

LOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING ICON IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF EACH POst
1715031709392.png

I will telly you a funny story about me getting a job at a tile manufacturers that will make you pee your pants. - Someone hold me to this I will forget.

TL;DR Let's see if we can make this a massive poll and discussion. This could be interesting. Please all join in. Feel free to make it a fantasy if needs be. :) Have fun. p.s. You can change your vote over time.

I worked at a large independant plumber's merchants in Essex (formally Compass Plumbing) for seven years before leaving to go out on my own on the tools. I mostly liked working there, it just wasn't my actual 'career', more a stepping stone to my career. I learned a lot and i thought it was a good start to gain a lot of knowledge of the industry.

Yes in the late 1970's and almost all of the 1980's. It was a good job back then and really well paid.
The only drawback was the monotony, especially after 15 years or so. I went self-employed and back on the tools full time.
I could have opened my own merchants instead, many did, as it was really profitable then, but I don't think my liver or lungs could have kept up.

Maybe obvious to others this but do you mean work for like on the counter or work for like repair their heating.
I have done the latter for a few but never worked on a counter.
Sorry but confused what you mean.
Either really matey just wanted end up chatting about it. :)

Wondering if like with tilers who get poorly knees, and sometimes cement does things to your hands after a long time, you tend to find a lot of shop managers are former tilers who ended up took broken to carry on crawling around wet floors etc Wondered if you guys end up getting up and down so much you have something similar, and sometimes end up in plumbing suppliers etc

Either really matey just wanted end up chatting about it. :)

Wondering if like with tilers who get poorly knees, and sometimes cement does things to your hands after a long time, you tend to find a lot of shop managers are former tilers who ended up took broken to carry on crawling around wet floors etc Wondered if you guys end up getting up and down so much you have something similar, and sometimes end up in plumbing suppliers etc
I don't know any Plumbers who have gone that way. Probably because we charge enough to mean that a few small jobs is enough to create a decent wage without working all week, once you get to the slowing down stage I mean.

I know a few who have gone the other way, from counter into the trade itself.

I know there are ex-tradesmen who work in places like B&Q but I don't know what they actually did when they were in the trade. Maybe they worked for some other body such as local council and don't have enough customers of their own to keep them going. Most Plumbers I know would be in a position where they could cherry pick customers and work to keep a wage.

Reply to Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Plumbing Wholesaler in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back