Search the forum,

Discuss Have I lost my marbles re entering industries as a gas service engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalmike

Gas Engineer
Have I lost my marbles re entering industries as a gas service engineer on the GSR?
Have my CCN1 training and re assessment booked in for April
Little History. Ex B.Gas apprentice and worked for them 8 years
Ex Potterton technician, Ten Years
Eight years successfully self-employed Corgi Registered business up to five employee and several contractors sold business and moved to Canada.
Took Canadian BC gas fitters still licensed but have never practiced
Couple years working for a wood stove and gas fire manufacture as technical manager in BC Canada.
3 years working as regional sales rep for Baxi sole distributor in North America

Looking to come back to the UK maybe only to work seven months in the winter for the next 5 to ten years as wish to spend some time with elderly mother before its to late. Possibly return to Canada for 5 months in the summer.
Not certain what to do work wise at the moment either set up completely on my own seek contract work or a mixture of both.
Will probably work M4 corridor Reading to Swindon
Have swapped e mails with a couple of firms advertising for self employed engineers GSR for mainly housing association work they are suggesting 1.5 to 2 thousand a week is obtainable and that they are desperate for GSR engineers with experience. Don't know how much BS this is though.

Welcome along Mike

"Have I lost my marbles" - probably it certainly isn't the same industry you left behind.

You are probably in for a shock with prices - 60, 000 or so extra businesses over last three years in a declining industry.

You have a great professional profile so go uni and be involved at higher level e.g. Consultant, teacher, manager.

Good luck!

Hi Mike, and welcome, things have changed a lot in the industry, What you have been inquiring about is total BS, these contracts do the rounds every year and most of the experienced guys stay clear, earnings that they claim come out of a story book, every one is just about making a living (Some doing ok) others thinking about giving it up, have a look through this site, you could do better going back to sales, if you have covered Baxi give them a call or other manufactures, at least you wont have the expense of going back on the tools and it could take a couple of years to get Gas registered again. But good luck .

QUOTE=royalmike;860468]Have I lost my marbles re entering industries as a gas service engineer on the GSR?
[/QUOTE]

We're not qualified to answer that question - just yet.

Have you had your blood sugar levels check recently?
Have you had your serotonin levels checked recently?
Have you had a CT scan of your brain recently?

If you have answered yes to all 3 questions - you have lost your marbles.

Bright side - you will fit in well here

Isn't this £1.5k to £2k "servicing" / Landlords certs around 8 boilers/ houses per DAY?

• Useful
Reactions: pip
My wife is a nurse, will ask her.

Yes, why do you want to come back? Think of your knees! :46:

I'll do it for that [emoji684]

Guys I know have tried it and money is nothing like they offer, 8 jobs a day 5 days = 40 jobs that means to earn 2K they are paying £50pr job ! most these jobs pay is around £18pr job, If you can do 8 a day that's £750 less overheads, Your very lucky if you even do 8, as they have you running all over the town,

You are probably in for a shock with prices - 60, 000 or so extra businesses over last three years in a declining industry.

You have a great professional profile so go uni and be involved at higher level e.g. Consultant, teacher, manager.

Good luck!

WOW that's a lot of new business were did they all come from?

Hi Mike, and welcome, things have changed a lot in the industry, What you have been inquiring about is total BS, these contracts do the rounds every year and most of the experienced guys stay clear, earnings that they claim come out of a story book, every one is just about making a living (Some doing ok) others thinking about giving it up, have a look through this site, you could do better going back to sales, if you have covered Baxi give them a call or other manufactures, at least you wont have the expense of going back on the tools and it could take a couple of years to get Gas registered again. But good luck .

Yea assumed that it was way over did think of sales or technical but only want to work seven months of the year old and tired, LOL

Yea assumed that it was way over did think of sales or technical but only want to work seven months of the year old and tired, LOL

Then maybe you could do some kind of agency work ? where your not committed to one company .

WOW that's a lot of new business were did they all come from?

I'm not convinced those numbers are right.

There are about 120,000+ individual GSR engineers and about 71,000+ registered businesses. These numbers come directly from Gas Safe.

They claim that 6,000 new engineers are qualifying every year, and that there are 30% more engineers than in 2009. If thats correct, then there must have only been only about 92,000 engineers in 2009, but that was was the depths of the recession, and people had been leaving the industry in droves since the crash of 2007/8. A better comparison would be from 2005 or 2006 - before the crash.

Even on those figures, thats an increase of 28,000 engineers (not businesses), a lot less than 60,000

If you want a nice easy job that maybe could fit with the hours you want to work then why not dip your toe in the smart metering malarky?

good luck if you're considering working in social housing, done it for donkey years, won't entertain the south west now they you have to refer to them as customers,only will work in social housing in Birmingham area,
saying that there's a good job going as a gas supervisor for Selwood housing association £30,000 (south west),so not on the tools, they have a good reputation,where will you be based ?

good luck if you're considering working in social housing, done it for donkey years, won't entertain the south west now they you have to refer to them as customers,

Don`t follow you, what do you call customers if not customers?

Don`t follow you, what do you call customers if not customers?

they used to be tenants not customers,in MOD married quarters we used to be able to say to an awkward customer (not the high ranking ones) don't forget you are renting the house,

the word customer has given some of them a feeling of power " I want and I'm going to get NOW" make sure the housing association will back you up when they complain, say if you said "sorry I can fix your toilet,there's no need for a new one" most h/a will back the tenant regardless,so you might think If that's the case I will replace everything,then the h/a will be on your back about costs "can't you repair it" you just can't win,
so will you condemn the boiler unecessarily or repair it, believe me keep out of social housing in the south west.

they used to be tenants not customers,in MOD married quarters we used to be able to say to an awkward customer (not the high ranking ones) don't forget you are renting the house,

the word customer has given some of them a feeling of power " I want and I'm going to get NOW" make sure the housing association will back you up when they complain, say if you said "sorry I can fix your toilet,there's no need for a new one" most h/a will back the tenant regardless,so you might think If that's the case I will replace everything,then the h/a will be on your back about costs "can't you repair it" you just can't win,
so will you condemn the boiler unecessarily or repair it, believe me keep out of social housing in the south west.

Well, I would never ever tell someone "Don`t forget you are renting the house" for a start and I would certainly never say "Sorry, I can repair it, there is no need for a new one" either as I am sent to do a job and the works order will normally have a financial limit attached.

Last edited:
Well, I would never ever tell someone "Don`t forget you are renting the house" for a start and I would certainly never say "Sorry, I can repair it, there is no need for a new one" either as I am sent to do a job and the works invoice will normally have a financial limit attached.

I just done 2 days work for Ian Williams ltd a very big player in social housing,the job was bathroom/kitchen refurbishments,the first day done very little,induction and that, second day my role was to second first fix kitchens, then second fix the kitchen and cloakroom, fit showers and snagging,went to do a kitchen, all the fittings were there,taps, waste fitting etc,no pipe copper or waste,rang them,they had to e mail head office with a list,wait for reply,then have them delivered,took 4 hours,so he said repair just fitted leaking basin, so I took basin out, chrome waste was made in with silicone, rang up said I want a tub of plumbers mate,anyway everything arrived but no solder,flux,solvent cement,so couldn't to do anything,got a bollocking for taking out basin,
anyway I said where's the solder,flux,solvent he said you supply that,said "that ain't going to happen,you get your wallet out and go and buy it",
anyway driving home got a text don't come in monday, that's social housing today,

bit of advice, working for a firm once,they had just finished interviewing,boss said so and so was the best candidate but won't get the job as he used to have his own business, so ????????
he will want to do things his way not our way.

I just done 2 days work for Ian Williams ltd a very big player in social housing,the job was bathroom/kitchen refurbishments,the first day done very little,induction and that, second day my role was to second first fix kitchens, then second fix the kitchen and cloakroom, fit showers and snagging,went to do a kitchen, all the fittings were there,taps, waste fitting etc,no pipe copper or waste,rang them,they had to e mail head office with a list,wait for reply,then have them delivered,took 4 hours,so he said repair just fitted leaking basin, so I took basin out, chrome waste was made in with silicone, rang up said I want a tub of plumbers mate,anyway everything arrived but no solder,flux,solvent cement,so couldn't to do anything,got a bollocking for taking out basin,
anyway I said where's the solder,flux,solvent he said you supply that,said "that ain't going to happen,you get your wallet out and go and buy it",
anyway driving home got a text don't come in monday, that's social housing today,

bit of advice, working for a firm once,they had just finished interviewing,boss said so and so was the best candidate but won't get the job as he used to have his own business, so ????????
he will want to do things his way not our way.

You are now going off tangent somewhat from posts #16 & 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Have I lost my marbles re entering industries as a gas service engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex. I am a ltd company thats been running for 12 years and am now looking to expand. Ideally im looking for someone who is self employed (or another ltd...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This line of work means I have on average 6+ months off a year, im thinking of training to become a domestic gas engineer in my time off to earn a bit extra...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm new on the forum, I'm a gas service and repair engineer rather than a plumber. I used to work for a big company, now self employed. I do some install work too but nothing too big as I work alone and to be honest I'm not quick enough at installation work and not experienced in...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone! I’m Paul. An ex gas safe registered heating engineer & plumber. Was never much cop at wiring heating systems or fault finding electrical issues, always used a close friend who is a (busy) electrician. Was self employed (non sub contractor) for 32 years. My career ended a few...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock