Search the forum,

Discuss Has asbestos mutated?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelister6

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just been contacted by the company I did my asbestos awareness course with last year inviting me to retake so I phoned em up to ask what had changed since last year. Has a new strain been discovered? No. has the reporting system changed? No. Is there a new method for dealing with it when you suspect it's present? No. Are you just trying to screw money out of tradesmen trying to make a living? click................

Nothing changed but it does expire and not for ever which I think is stupid

Nothing changed but it does expire and not for ever which I think is stupid

Does it actually expire, or is it just what the training company says?

This happens a lot in the forklift industry. The training agencies print an "expiry date" on their certificates, usually after 3 years. However, there is no legal requirement to train every three years, simply a "best practice" standard that if you don't drive a forklift for three years, you should probably consider re-training, which is quite sensible. That wording has been twisted by the training agencies into creating a belief that you have to re-qualify every 3 years.

Does it actually expire, or is it just what the training company says?

This happens a lot in the forklift industry. The training agencies print an "expiry date" on their certificates, usually after 3 years. However, there is no legal requirement to train every three years, simply a "best practice" standard that if you don't drive a forklift for three years, you should probably consider re-training, which is quite sensible. That wording has been twisted by the training agencies into creating a belief that you have to re-qualify every 3 years.

Date on certificate but only good practice as of yet

You can do an online course
Some sites will accpet it, some wont

Riding on the back of Health and Safety,Training has become a self perpetuating industry.
Unless care is taken the important, like gas safe, will be masked by the mundane. "Best Practice" recommendations are akin to blackmail when, "Failure to follow best practice",combined with the perfect vision of hindsight, makes any incident open to criticism.
Re validation should be as easy and appropriate to the individual trader as it is to the larger organisations who can book on site training days at block discounts .

bloody hell, need to write a sex manual and put an expiry date on it and give it to the Mrs, then ask if my lack of practice means I can get her to due a refresher course with me.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has asbestos mutated?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock