Search the forum,

Discuss Has anyone had any experience of a company named Runrec? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLS

Hi all,

I'm looking to get Gas safe registered. In a fit of over zealous enthusiasm I did the three week foundation course and then like so many before me am finding it impossible to find anyone to do the portfolio with.

Whilst looking for such opportunities I came across a company called Runrec thats offering the mentoring and employment afterwards as a smart meter installer. The only down side being that the initial training has to be self funded.

Having jumped into self funded training a little too eagerly already I'm doing a bit more research this time. So would really appreciate any thoughts or advice about Runrec or indeed about this route into the industry.

Thanks for looking

Steve

Just a tip if you become a smart meter installer your not fully gas safe qulified so once you finish that you will need to retrain

Just a tip if you become a smart meter installer your not fully gas safe qulified so once you finish that you will need to retrain

I realise that it wouldn't give you all the categories but it would get you on the Gas safe register and remove the portfolio aspect wouldn't it or am I missing something?

I don`t know them, but I`d be very wary of a company that wants you to fund your own training.

I realise that it wouldn't give you all the categories but it would get you on the Gas safe register and remove the portfolio aspect wouldn't it or am I missing something?

Don't think it will as you only do how to tightness test and meter swapping

Surely it would have to if you're going to be working on your own?

im 70% sure your not fully qualified eg cant work on domestic, thats why they cant repair leaks

im 70% sure your not fully qualified eg cant work on domestic, thats why they cant repair leaks

I'm very new to this as you can probably tell so please correct me when I go wrong. It was my understanding that you have to be Gas safe registered to touch any part of a gas installation (bar things like cooker bayonets), passing the ACS assessment was one way to do this. In order to do the ACS you need to complete a porfolio of work. Once the ACS was passed any additional categories can be added simply by attending courses and no further portfolio work is required.

The big problem that everyone has is that portfolio as you know, so I'd be prepared to do what sounds like a pretty dull job if it gets me through that particular hoop.

I hope that doesn't come across as having an attitude. I'm just trying to make sense of a system that seems somewhat more complex than it really needs to be.

I'm very new to this as you can probably tell so please correct me when I go wrong. It was my understanding that you have to be Gas safe registered to touch any part of a gas installation (bar things like cooker bayonets), passing the ACS assessment was one way to do this. In order to do the ACS you need to complete a porfolio of work. Once the ACS was passed any additional categories can be added simply by attending courses and no further portfolio work is required.

The big problem that everyone has is that portfolio as you know, so I'd be prepared to do what sounds like a pretty dull job if it gets me through that particular hoop.

I hope that doesn't come across as having an attitude. I'm just trying to make sense of a system that seems somewhat more complex than it really needs to be.

best bet is phone gas safe up but i think you dont same as smart elec meter there not fully 17th ed amd 3 qualified

I'd be surprised if a meter installer is fully ACS. As Shaun says contact Gas Safe. Might also be worth asking training company what you will have come the end specifically.

Try getting in with one of the big six suppliers. They are recruiting meter fitters, and have some fairly good policies and training employees. I was with Npower for 17 years, if you asked for further training, it was always considered and sometimes allowed.
all the best.

Hey I just went for 2 meter fitting interviews last week, as far as I'm aware they require full ACS (I already have it but they are also putting guys through training).

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is interested I did call Gas safe and they said that meter installers would have to be Gas safe registered.

I'd still be very interested to hear from anyone that has actually taken this route.

Meter installation is not an acceptable route to becoming a fully-qualified gas appliance engineer.

No reputable gas assessment centre (or certification body) would allow a candidate to undertake full CCN1 and appliance assessments if that candidate had only qualifications and experience in gas meter exchanging.

There would be an enormous amount of knowledge and experience that a meter installer wouldn't have: flues, chimneys, gas controls for instance. The number of ways that things could go wrong is horrible to think of.

Although meter installers are Gas Safe registered, their qualifications are of 'limited scope' in the terminology of ACS. Limited scope qualifications can't be used as the sole entry prerequisite for 'full scope' assessments like CCN1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has anyone had any experience of a company named Runrec? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock