Search the forum,

Discuss GSR Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So, did my first gas job under my own number yesterday.. boiler install.

Got notified this morning my inspection is in Feb.

Any advice? My anxiety is through the roof already!!!

Did the install by the book, commissioned by the book. (As always!).

Just want a heads up on what to expect.

Cheers
Jay

Make sure all your paperwork, labels, flue Anylyser calibration certificate is all available and in good order when they turn up and then just try and chill. Most of them are decent folk and will generally ask you basic questions about purge volumes, gas rating, tightness testing etc which you do all day anyway and in my case always allow for some tongue tied Swahili which generally will come out of your mouth if nervous.

Paperwork
Have your book
Calibrated FGA
Be polite
Listen
Ask if they're happy with apps for valve don't assume
They are not there to catch you out they are decent guys and are there to help you

Make sure all your paperwork, labels, flue Anylyser calibration certificate is all available and in good order when they turn up and then just try and chill. Most of them are decent folk and will generally ask you basic questions about purge volumes, gas rating, tightness testing etc which you do all day anyway and in my case always allow for some tongue tied Swahili which generally will come out of your mouth if nervous.

Hmmm, I my boss has the fga cert - will have to sort that.

Only labels I have is the standard new AR/ID label, what others do I need?

I've started another thread re: paperwork. Re: boiler installs, apart from CP12's, commissioning record and notifying the work with gsr there isn't any other paperwork I need to do is there?

They are the main ones but any that you use in everyday use- mine mentioned how many people don't have them

You will be fine just take your time and go through it with him

Mines was

Gas rate
Tightness test
Gas pipe vis
Flue and clipping
Fga readings
And a chat about him :D

You will be fine just take your time and go through it with him

Mines was

Gas rate
Tightness test
Gas pipe vis
Flue and clipping
Fga readings
And a chat about him :D

Thing is when I get nervous my brain just shuts down and refuses to cooperate!! I just hope I don't mess things up..

Gonna brush up and read my viper book and prepare..

Cheers Shaun

Thing is when I get nervous my brain just shuts down and refuses to cooperate!! I just hope I don't mess things up..

Gonna brush up and read my viper book and prepare..

Cheers Shaun

They understand this if it helps just imagine your talking to one of us

Most inspectors are ex Engineers, a lot are fro BG.
They have been in your shoes and as above, there are not there to catch you out at all.
I've met a few over the years and they're always friendly and helpful.

Don't worry about it.
Trust me, I'm a plumber

Most inspectors are ex Engineers, a lot are fro BG.
They have been in your shoes and as above, there are not there to catch you out at all.
I've met a few over the years and they're always friendly and helpful.

Don't worry about it.
Trust me, I'm a plumber

What happens if they ask something and you get it wrong?

you'll be fine I ended up capping a boiler once on my first probation visit due to a low service pressure he was just pleased I knew what to do

Oh ok.. slightly less pressure then :)

as long as you dont kill him or leave your cus with an open end / try and kill them you will be fine

Relax for now and prepare yourself.

When you meet the inspector and he/she asked how you are....tell them, this is your first inspection and you're about to pee your pants.

At least that way, they know you are on edge and some of your replies may seem out of context or complete jibberish, but they will understand the situation.

Everyone's been there.

Cheers everyone.. think I'll re-read this thread every day to try and ease my pain lol

Hmmm, I my boss has the fga cert - will have to sort that.

Only labels I have is the standard new AR/ID label, what others do I need?
What fga do you use?
My kane tells me the recalibration date when i turn it on

If you dont know something just tell them you dont know but you can look it up for them.
Thats all they want. No bullshyte. They dont expect you to know everything.

aye

don't forget you can always look in the book when your stuck i did for some ventilation questions on mine.
there pretty easy going guys and not there to catch you out.
they also realise you will be nervous and account for it.

What happens if they ask something and you get it wrong?

Mine asked me something like "are you sure about that? Think about it for a minute.." I still couldn't remember the right answer so I said I had Viper in the van and could have a look... He was fine with that.. Something to do with compartment ventilation if I remember right...

Mine asked me something like "are you sure about that? Think about it for a minute.." I still couldn't remember the right answer so I said I had Viper in the van and could have a look... He was fine with that.. Something to do with compartment ventilation if I remember right...

I'm sure I'll be a bit more confidant when I go through my Viper ... *he says*

If an existing installation of a hob does not have an isolation valve, would this be classed as NCS or AR? The ECV at the meter is accessible within the flat about 10 feet away from the hob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to GSR Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. just had my probationary inspection. Most of the inspection went ok, apart from when the inspector asked me questions about gas fires and gas cookers. I have my ticket for boilers and the inspection for all that side went fine. The last time I did anything about fires and cookers was 5 years...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello. I am a homeowner and have a Valliant EcoTech 835 (2017). Serviced every year and worked like a treat until about a few months ago when I notified the pressure reading was too high (> 3 bar). My plumber came and did a regular service and told me the boiler is in tip top condition. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, just a quick query (hopefully). We’ve got a combi boiler installed in a cupboard with the flue going 90° then directly through the external wall to where it terminates. We’ve had numerous gas safety certificates for it over the years with having lodgers etc, but we’re about to sell the house...
Replies
Views
my bathroom sink (installed 2017) was broken recently and needs replacing. on inspection there is no brand name and only a few markings so I'm guessing its a trade sink that plumbers would buy. The sink has 1708 indented in the china which i guess is a model number but doesnt show up on google...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock