Search the forum,

Discuss Greenstar 37cdi misbehaving = cold Christmas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Just registered with the site in the hope that someone might be able to help.

We've got a Worcester Greenstar 37cdi Combi hooked up to a Hive heating system. Up until yesterday, everything worked flawlessly. We've been living in this current house for a year, and I don't think we've had a boiler service, so we might be a bit behind on that front.

Yesterday my other half went for a snooze, and when I went out to stock up on Christmas booze, she texted me asking to check the heating when I got back as it wasn't working properly.

Our usual use case with the heating is to leave the thermostat fairly low, and hit a Hive boost every time we get a bit chilly. On this occasion, the boost wasn't working.

So I fiddled around with various temperature settings via the app (setting lower and then higher than the reported temperature to try and trigger it via a state change), but no luck. I'm looking out for the 'boiler on' light to go green, and that's not happening.

I flipped down the front of the boiler, and noticed that there was no pressure in the system. Worked out how to rectify that, and it's now at 1.5bar. That didn't fix the problem, though.

Signals are getting through from the Hive to the receiver above the boiler. When we set the target temperature lower than the reported temperature, the receiver light goes out. When target is higher than that reported, it turns on. So Hive seems okay (I've also poked around the app, the web interface, and so on – all seems okay).

We have hot water. The 'boiler on' light goes green when we turn on a hot tap, and hot water eventually comes through.

When I hold down the 'boost' button (the one labelled with, inexplicably, a man with a ladder) on the boiler for ten seconds, the whole system cranks into life, the 'boiler on' button comes on, and we start to get heat into the radiators. I'm concerned about leaving the boost on for too long, though, just in case something somewhere explodes. So I've only done that for a few minutes at a time.

One thing that I've noticed: when I've killed power to the boiler, and turned it back on again, the automatic 'flush' mode is not happening. According to the manual, the boiler should go into that mode whenever power is lost and restored; I've found elsewhere that it's signified by a '-||-' symbol appearing on the display.

The unit did do that late last night, a couple of hours after I stopped fiddling, and afterwards normal operation was restored for the last hour or so before we went to bed (i.e. setting target higher than reported temperature resulted in the 'boiler on' light turning on and heat coming through to the radiators; doing the opposite turned it off).

This morning, though: nothing. I've killed power for half an hour to see if that would help: nope. No automatic flushing. Holding down the boost button for ten seconds still gives us heat, but I'm concerned now that I'm doing more harm than good.

Any ideas? Or am I in calling-out-an-engineer-at-Christmas-at-crippling-rates-ville?

Thanks a million,

Pete.

It's not a boost button. It's for testing the boiler combustion.

Please stop pressing it!

I'm afraid you've done as much as you can and need a gsr in to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Greenstar 37cdi misbehaving = cold Christmas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know of a weather compensation unit that can be fitted to a cylinder? I have an Ideal Logic Max H24 which heats a thermal store. The boiler can take an Ideal weather compensation unit to raise the target flow temperature as the outside temperature drops, but the store temperature...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
When I set it to be on via phone, light A comes on (telling it to be on), but light B won’t come on, so the boiler doesn’t start. I either need to set A on and off several times via phone, or turn it off and on again via switch (C). When I set the water to be on, it works instead, and green...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock