Search the forum,

Discuss Gravity cold constantly airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I have came across a strange one I can't solve.
Have been to a job probably 5 times over many months. This plumbing is original several decades old, without precious bother. The elderly couples toilet and cold bath tap stop flowing from gravity tank fed. First time I went I just quickly cleared the air lock by linking the bath hot and cold taps together with a hose for several seconds. But same thing happened again after a few months, so I checked CWT in loft and replaced the ballvalve. Everything seems fine, - ballvalve flows well, cold pipe leaves the CWT only a foot and drops down airing cupboard and then below bath. No power shower or pump exists, so no issues with tank being drained at any time.
How can a cold pipe airlock? They rarely use the cold bath tap, (as have an electric shower) so only the cold flows to the toilet regularly.

Bath cold tap ducking air in ?

Bath cold tap ducking air in ?

Would that be possible? Bath taps are 2 Peglers old style Sequel taps that have real packing nut type works. I replaced the tap washer on the hot tap because the customer mentioned it was hard to turn off, - turned out old washer was rock hard. I didn't replace the cold taps washer.

Would that be possible? Bath taps are 2 Peglers old style Sequel taps that have real packing nut type works. I replaced the tap washer on the hot tap because the customer mentioned it was hard to turn off, - turned out old washer was rock hard. I didn't replace the cold taps washer.

worth a try

The foot before it drops down does it rise or fall from the cistern?

It is falling from the cistern. The ballvalve is on opposite side of tank to the outlets. It is a 50/70 gallon round cwt. All work is original 50 plus years, except cwt which was replaced probably 40 years ago and the bathroom is 15 or so years old. All work is in copper.

worth a try

Yes, I think you are right Shaun. Kicking myself I didn't replace the cold tap washer yesterday. I had actually just turned both stopcocks off from cwt (as weren't labelled). Getting the seized works screwed off the hot tap was hard to do without risking damaging the tap. Thankfully I have a new Knipex parallel jaw wrench which is perfect for gripping chrome tight without damage.
I will go back and replace the cold washer to rule it out.
Thank you to both of you for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are right Shaun. Kicking myself I didn't replace the cold tap washer yesterday. I had actually just turned both stopcocks off from cwt (as weren't labelled). Getting the seized works screwed off the hot tap was hard to do without risking damaging the tap. Thankfully I have a new Knipex parallel jaw wrench which is perfect for gripping chrome tight without damage.
I will go back and replace the cold washer to rule it out.
Thank you to both of you for your thoughts!

there always the best esp trying to get the top off without damaging it love the screw type hate the push type

and they are a good grips esp for brass fittings that are too big for spanners

Is it definitely air? I have had a gate valve which was intermittently failing and dropping closed shutting off the water supply.

Is it definitely air? I have had a gate valve which was intermittently failing and dropping closed shutting off the water supply.

Yes, bath cold is the first supply and water just trickles if turned on. Toilet cistern is next and final supply and doesn't really fill. When I push the hot up the cold tap I can hear air going into cold tank. No gatevalves - just stopcocks.

Well here is an update.
I never did go back to replace the cold tap washer and everything had worked fine until last Saturday 27th May.
Again the bath cold and cistern air locked just down to a trickle.
I replaced the cold tap washer finally this time (old washer was hard and I was able to snap it in my hand) and I took a look at bath pipework but all looks totally like new and no leaks at connection.
If this works then must be the bath tap washer allowing air to enter, although hard to believe.

Nothing in the tank that moves across the outlet?

Is there a lid on this tank Best?

I had a similar thing a few years back and I couldn't see it the first time I went to visit but there was a Bat in the Tank. Every time the water was being drawn, it's wing would move gently over the tank connector.

I am not saying that your is caused by Bats of course but could it be sediment or insulation or something similar?

Nothing in the tank that moves across the outlet?

Is there a lid on this tank Best?

I had a similar thing a few years back and I couldn't see it the first time I went to visit but there was a Bat in the Tank. Every time the water was being drawn, it's wing would move gently over the tank connector.

I am not saying that your is caused by Bats of course but could it be sediment or insulation or something similar?

Thanks Last Plumber for reply. I did check the cwt a few times. I replaced the ball float valve, as was thinking possibility original valve was seizing occasionally. The round cwt is clean and has a two part wooden lid which is very well made and jointed (customer is an old top class wood worker).
Reason why I think it is air ingress is the cold pipe is definitely full off air and only draw off is the toilet, as the cold bath tap is rarely used because the people use electric shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity cold constantly airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock