Search the forum,

Discuss Going self-employed after fast-track training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adaminthailand

Hi

I'm new to the forum, and would like to find out more about other's experience of going self-employed after training. I'm probably too old to find work as a plumber's mate, and with a wife and mortgage i can probably rule that option out anyway. So, i'll probably get a van and some tools and go it alone. Anyone out there whose done it this way and could give some tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

I`ts not easy mate, but in your case it`s the only way.

There is a lot of folks that will tell you that you don`t have the experience and this and that, but if you really want to be a plumber and prepared to put in the hard work then you will make it.

Just take it easy and start with the little stuff and don`t do things that you can`t do, it`s better to be honest and call a plumber with experience if you get stuck and do every thing to the book(regulations).

I think it`s a lot harder these days to get into plumbing, because of all the fast track courses and the cowboys, but saying that, there is a lot of good hard working honest people that have no other option then to do it this way!

good luck to you mate and just keep going at it, it`s the only way to learn! if you don`t take the risk you will never get out there.

Hello,

I've recently done a similar course and have done a thread "so you want to be a plumber" its had some really interesting responses, I'd have a look if I were you. You may find it quite useful.

Another tip would be read all the threads published on here, even if you think they are from DIY'ers they are useful and answer a lot of probs you'll encounter.

good luck its not an easy route keep you prices reasonable and keep every receipt possible down to the sandwich you eat to help with tax return the tools/insurance/van and stock will be hard take all the small jobs no one wants and turn up when you say

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Due to inexperience and the need to make an instant wage, maybe I'll try and broaden the services offered, say, Plumber-Painter&Decorator-***-kitchen fitter! Thanks again:D

Adam, Hi mate, If you need any advice on this then I'm your man! Been fully self employed now for 4 months after a short course and getting some hands on with my Mum's hubby who has been in the business for more than a few years. I've made a few mistakes on the business advertising side and learned quickly. If you know a plumber you can call for advice when you get stuck, and this will happen regularly at first, then good. If you don't then find one! If you email me direct I'll give you my number. Be prepared for next to no wages for the first months and then poor for the other few. A couple of good bathroom jobs and you might start to stop screaming at the mrs and kids once the stress dies down and you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Buy tools wisely, buy a second hand van that you can spruce up with some sign writing (looks professional and is free advertising). Do painting and decorating, car washing, and try to get some basic electrician skills. Honeywell do a 1 day course on their programmers and you can do other 1day manufacturer courses that will broaden your knowledge and hopefully do a bit of networking too. Good luck mate and stick 2 fingers up to those who lift their noses up to you with their detrimental comments. rise above it and you'll grow in confidence and start to get your name in a good light with customers. It can be lonely, frustrating and bloody dirty work but there's something good at the end of the job when you can look back and say you did a good job, at a competitive price and the customer refers you to others. Last of all find a good supplier. Most good ones will be only too pleased to help you on your way and a few behind the counters are pretty knowledgeable. I have recently changed over to Williams Plumbing Supplies and they're a great bunch in my area. Used others and decided that if they can't be arsed to give you help and advice then I can't be arsed to put business their way. Hope this bit of advice is good. Jim

Spot on advice (above post) sounds like you have battled away and come through the other side

Thanks for your detailed reply, Jim. It's quite reassuring to hear other stories when being in the dark as much as i am. It's a daunting prospect going alone and starting from scratch. I think you're right about doing other work to supplement your earnings. I want to add on the bathroom and kitchen fitting course to the plumbing one, and maybe learn a bit about electrics, and i will eventually, but it's gonna take time. Your one-day course suggestions are interesting, but did you really learn enough? One final thought, and maybe it should be on a separate thread, if you learn about all these other things and don't become NVQ qualified, but earn a living from them, it begs the question of the relevance of an NVQ in plumbing. In other words is it necessary for a self-employed person to get these qualifications if you're never going to work for someone that asks for them? It might save thousands of pounds?? All the best, Jim

Adam

if going self employed dont bother with the quest for qualifacations as the customer really wont give a toss
what they want is a good clean job at a reasonable price
good luck its a bit of a minefield cost wise
i am constantly finding another tool that will make my life easier and i am only doing acs
i must have spent at least 600.00 on tools so far
wrenches/drills/levels/manometer the list goes on and will eventually need core bits/core drill at a cost of about 500.00
it will take time and thats why some fall by the wayside as earning a living wage eq 25000 plus isnt easy
you will benefit from a good tax return and online the rebate comes really quickly

Thanks Newbie

I'm thinking that experience counts for more the pieces of paper, so perhaps it's best to just start the business and see where it goes

newbie, I agree partly with your statement 'don't bother with the quest for qualifications' because I agree that some customers aren't bothered, experience is 90% and utmost respect to the senior members on this forum. What I might put in is that with all of these competent persons schemes that are becoming unavoidable, is that you need qualifications in most cases to register. Once registered you can notify works for a few quid as opposed to non-registered who must notify LABC prior to work commencement normally at a cost above £100. (if they bother). Now the customer will make a saving and can be assured that the work's guaranteed and that's a selling point they should be made aware of and can get you the job.

quals or none.i have run a successfull business in the past with none at all(in other areas) but now as i want to start plumbing i am going to do as much as possible.i have not stuck at many things in the past and after reaching 30 have decided i need a trade if for nothing else just so i have acheived something at some point in life plus if i ever want to work for someone else i will need them. but also i have no intention of stopping at the basics i want to learn as much as possible and be as thorough and safe as possible so rather than seein a 12 week intensive course a be all and end all i see it as an opening into something far bigger

quals or none.i have run a successfull business in the past with none at all(in other areas) but now as i want to start plumbing i am going to do as much as possible.i have not stuck at many things in the past and after reaching 30 have decided i need a trade if for nothing else just so i have acheived something at some point in life plus if i ever want to work for someone else i will need them. but also i have no intention of stopping at the basics i want to learn as much as possible and be as thorough and safe as possible so rather than seein a 12 week intensive course a be all and end all i see it as an opening into something far bigger

I'm just starting out and my mindset is exactly the same as above! just got to knuckle down and ride the hard times ahead!

Adam, Hi mate, If you need any advice on this then I'm your man! Been fully self employed now for 4 months after a short course and getting some hands on with my Mum's hubby who has been in the business for more than a few years. I've made a few mistakes on the business advertising side and learned quickly. If you know a plumber you can call for advice when you get stuck, and this will happen regularly at first, then good. If you don't then find one! If you email me direct I'll give you my number. Be prepared for next to no wages for the first months and then poor for the other few. A couple of good bathroom jobs and you might start to stop screaming at the mrs and kids once the stress dies down and you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Buy tools wisely, buy a second hand van that you can spruce up with some sign writing (looks professional and is free advertising). Do painting and decorating, car washing, and try to get some basic electrician skills. Honeywell do a 1 day course on their programmers and you can do other 1day manufacturer courses that will broaden your knowledge and hopefully do a bit of networking too. Good luck mate and stick 2 fingers up to those who lift their noses up to you with their detrimental comments. rise above it and you'll grow in confidence and start to get your name in a good light with customers. It can be lonely, frustrating and bloody dirty work but there's something good at the end of the job when you can look back and say you did a good job, at a competitive price and the customer refers you to others. Last of all find a good supplier. Most good ones will be only too pleased to help you on your way and a few behind the counters are pretty knowledgeable. I have recently changed over to Williams Plumbing Supplies and they're a great bunch in my area. Used others and decided that if they can't be arsed to give you help and advice then I can't be arsed to put business their way. Hope this bit of advice is good. Jim

Honest and good advice, too many people in here with old fashion views just trying to protect their own backs, if you want t be a plumber you can do it. I think a few people in these forums are scared and looking over their shoulders at some good guys.

Great to see all these positive comments.. !!

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/members/adaminthailand.html"]adaminthailand[/DLMURL] - I seem to be in the same situation as yourself. I recently completed my 'advanced' plumbing course, and due to the fact im 27 with a mortgage, mrs and 8 month old im now looking to start doing weekend/evening jobs outside my normal working hours instead of working as a 'plumbers mate' although i wouldnt knock it to gain some experinence.

What level of training did you achieve before getting the confidence to going self employed????

Thanks

Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
Any views on registering with online websites like Ratedpeople.com ?

I believe it only costs a 10er for the first 3 month. Apparently, they email or text you when some in your area needs a trades person with your particular skills set. Then, after you have been and done the job the customer give you a rating, which in it's self, if the rating is a good one, should generate more work.

Just a thought.

Hi guys, I did a fast track course and have been trading now for 14 months it hasnt been easy as the course really does not prepare you for the real life of plumbing.

However I have continued and genuinely feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been very selective as to what work I take on and anything beyond me I pass on to a couple of local plumbers I have got to know.

It works both ways, they pass work onto me and I have also spent time with them when doing the jobs that are beyond me and on jobs if I am quiet foc.

You really have to market yourself with advertising and when your quiet get up do leaflets, van signage is a must and occassionally for silly trivial jobs do a foc. I have obtained lots of work this way either from the customer at a later date or from friends and neighbours.

I have also been doing some subbie work now as my experience and knowledge has increased and get £150 a day on this basis. It hasnt been easy at all febuary 2009 turnover £30 for the month :(.

But since then I am getting my turnover to about 2.5-3k, but remember turnover isnt important its what is on the bottom line. But to be honest it is essential that you veiw each job on its merits and price accordingley.

But I must really advise get ppl, register self employed get an accountant and when you go to look at a job really look and look again I have recently had a customer who is trying to make out I have caused some damage.

I dont know how to post the pictures up here but have a look at my profile and see what a mess pictures :eek:

But whatever you decide be honest and good luck.

This time next year you wont be a millionaire :D

I believe it only costs a 10er for the first 3 month. Apparently, they email or text you when some in your area needs a trades person with your particular skills set. Then, after you have been and done the job the customer give you a rating, which in it's self, if the rating is a good one, should generate more work.

Just a thought.

dont bother with them they are all out just to make money from you .they all send out multiple texts to plumbers then charge you for the details if you reply.most people who use them are only after the lowest quote possible and not a good standerd of work.get your own website it will be as good as they do and you cut them out.good luck you will need it there are now to many plumbers chasing to little work.

Just a thought.

dont bother with them they are all out just to make money from you .they all send out multiple texts to plumbers then charge you for the details if you reply.most people who use them are only after the lowest quote possible and not a good standerd of work.get your own website it will be as good as they do and you cut them out.good luck you will need it there are now to many plumbers chasing to little work.

Yes absolutely I was with them for around a year , might aswell chased my own shaddow for a profit ;)

Need a part P assessment (£500) before you're able to apply to the elecsa competent persons scheme register (another £370+VAT). They then send an inspector to 'your regular place of work' (how they do that with self employed plumbers working from home I have no idea) to inspect your installations, H&S proceedures, complaints proceedures, paper work on previously done installations (12 mouths previous work done without part P????), your Public Liability Insurance and your reference books (17th editon, building reg's, etc)

Turns out, even if you have part P registration, if you are a Plumber fitting an electric shower in a bathroom, because bathrooms, kitchens and outside the property has been deemed 'special zones' you can only fit a replacement shower 'like for like' but to install a new electric shower and run the 10mm cable to feed the power via a pull switch straight from the CU (as it should be) you have to be a qualified 17th editon electician. Sounds like jobs for the boys to me, seeing as the majority of a Plumbers work is carried out in the Kitchen, the bathroom or outside the property.

So you either:-
find a good electrician you can trust to turn up at the job and use them to install all your electrics, all the time (bang goes your profit).
Take time out to become an electrician AS WELL.
Tell the customer the work needs to be notified to the authorities before work can start and it will have to be inspected at conciderable cost to the job (bang goes your profit and the job to larger Plumbing & Heating firm with their own electricans on staff).
Or You can keep turning electric shower installation work down and if it's to be included in a FULL bathroom suite installation, slowly go out of business in the process.

i have only just done these courses but to be honest the full part p was only an extra day on top of the defined scope and the 17th edition was about 200 on top of the courses id already done,i think its well worth doin for another couple of hundred quid
and if it means u can get the jobs you would lose why not do it,it opens up more potential work,there is the down side of havin to own a multifunction tester which is a few hundred quid but should pay for itself soon enough

Need a part P assessment (£500) before you're able to apply to the elecsa competent persons scheme register (another £370+VAT). They then send an inspector to 'your regular place of work' (how they do that with self employed plumbers working from home I have no idea) to inspect your installations, H&S proceedures, complaints proceedures, paper work on previously done installations (12 mouths previous work done without part P????), your Public Liability Insurance and your reference books (17th editon, building reg's, etc)

Turns out, even if you have part P registration, if you are a Plumber fitting an electric shower in a bathroom, because bathrooms, kitchens and outside the property has been deemed 'special zones' you can only fit a replacement shower 'like for like' but to install a new electric shower and run the 10mm cable to feed the power via a pull switch straight from the CU (as it should be) you have to be a qualified 17th editon electician. Sounds like jobs for the boys to me, seeing as the majority of a Plumbers work is carried out in the Kitchen, the bathroom or outside the property.

So you either:-
find a good electrician you can trust to turn up at the job and use them to install all your electrics, all the time (bang goes your profit).
Take time out to become an electrician AS WELL.
Tell the customer the work needs to be notified to the authorities before work can start and it will have to be inspected at conciderable cost to the job (bang goes your profit and the job to larger Plumbing & Heating firm with their own electricans on staff).
Or You can keep turning electric shower installation work down and if it's to be included in a FULL bathroom suite installation, slowly go out of business in the process.

im currently doing my level 3 been in the job a couple of years now and have 3-4 sparks who would fit a 10mm cable for me for a lot less than they would charge a customer outright. its getting to know people in the trade and working alongside them xmas nights out etc etc all helps the prices to get cheaper - just add 10 per cent on what theyre charging you and your making a profit on them

Hi there,i did a 6129 course in york nearly 3 years ago,and i went self employed as soon as i came back. I got myself a 2nd hand van and fitted it out myself with a free standing unit with trays for fittings and tools. The most important advice i can give is to have an experienced plumber that you can ring. My wifes friend knew a plumber from her church and he has helped me immensely. This guy has over 20 years experience in the trade,and is still at it. He is also one of those guys who is positive with a can do attitude as i believe there are negative plumbers who will scare the crap out of you by telling you that they are the only ones gifted to do the work and nobody else.
Get yourself a part time job if you can to relieve the financial stress as the money will be tight as it still is for me,and keep positive because plumbing does test you to your limits,cos sods law rules especially on old fittings. Take your time and opt for quality and be prepared for call backs or the job spilling over into the next day especially where air locks in central heating are concerned. Above all grit the teeth and stick with it. Its hard but rewarding. The best of luck

I can echo those thoughts with newbies finding an experienced plumber to help them. It's not imperative but if you can find someone it's a real help.

I work with one from time to time (I help him with large central heating jobs and he helps me with my larger jobs and technical bits and bobs.) He's also does my gaswork and I pick up his oil cookers and stoves. We also get on well and have a good laugh.

The only disadvantage I find is that as soon as he's around I turn into the apprentice who can't think for himself and ask all the questions. If I'm on my own I either work it out or have to walk away and lose the customer (unless I want the job then I phone a friend).

It's also hard trying to create a thriving business. Some days it all goes wrong. A recent one was when I had a customer's key for one of their houses. Went out and the key wouldn't work. No money. Time wasted. Other days a delivery doesn't come in so your plans are up the spout and the customer knocks a few marks off. All part of running a business. For some paperwork is a nightmare. For others just trying to find new customers is a nightmare, especially if you're a "quiet sort".

Despite the setbacks do I want to stop? No way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going self-employed after fast-track training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am currently going through a career change to be a plumbing and heating engineer. I have completed a year long plumbing and heating diploma level 2 at college and have signed up with a assessor at the college. It has been hard to find a placement as most plumbers either don't want the...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it would be best to write about my own circumstances. Basically ive been in trade for nearly 8 years now (left school a year early to become a builders...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am leaving the forces after 23 years shortly and want to retrain as a gas engineer, growing up in a trades household I was pretty much dragged out with my old man regularly with the hope of earning a quid. However that was 20+ years ago.I joined the Navy not as an engineer but...
Replies
Views
Morning guys, I’m looking for some advice on the best route for re-training as a plumber. I have tried finding what i'm looking for in the search but nothing I found was relatable to me. When I left school, I done an apprenticeship in Mechanical Maintenance working mostly on air conditioning...
Replies
Views
Hi. Apologies if this seems like an essay. The short question is where do you lot work from? Do you have largish houses, or do you work from a unit somewhere, or do you live in and work from old two up and two downs? The longer read: After some thinking during a few days camping in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock