Search the forum,

Discuss Glowworm condensing boiler noise issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have had somebody in to look at a relative's GlowWorm boiler which makes an intermittent whistling/howling noise. Its 8 years old and has been serviced every year and apart from this intermittent noise it works fine.

They have had somebody out to them and they have recommended a new boiler. The notes on the worksheet are below. I think that its a bit over the top to get a replacement boiler?

ON INITIAL TESTING BOILER FIRED UP OK WITH NO F22 FAULT. PUT IT IN TO TEST MODE

AN CHECKED RATIOS WITH THE NOISE FROM FLUE OCCURRING STRAIGHT AWAY IN BOTH HIGH

AND LOW THEY WERE BOTH IN RANGE AND NOISE ONLY WENT AWAY WHEN I LOWERED TO 8.4%

(HIGH) & 8% (LOW) SO LEFT THEM LIKE THIS. THIS IS LIKELY DOWN TO HEAT

EXCHANGER OR BURNER. THE F22 DID OCCUR WHILST I WAS TESTING. REPLACED NTCS AND

PCB SEPARATELY AND FAULT CODE STILL CAME UP. REINSTATED PARTS AS NOT REQUIRED.

SYSTEM WATER AND MAGNACLEAN CLEAR. LIKELY MAIN HEAT EX. NOT WORTH REPAIRING.

PLEASE QUOTE FOR NEW BOILER. COULD NOT LOCATE GAS METER AROUND HOUSE OR OUTSIDE.

CURRENT GAS IN 15MM THIS CAN STAY LIKE THIS DEPENDING ON KW OF BOILER? WORKING

PRESSURE 21MBR. DRAIN FOR CONDENSE AND ALL RADS HAVE TRVS.

Neil changed the pump on 28/11 but the boiler was still noisy and still going to F22 fault, so he reinstated the original pump.

We have since been back and replaced the NTC’s and the PCB to eliminate them but the problem was still occurring so again, the original parts were reinstated.

Only part left is the main heat ex which is not worth replacing, hence recommending new boiler.

:D I would suggest getting a better engineer and quit your boiler plan

Cheers folks. Its just that we are not sure what to say to the gas engineer do we get somebody else to look at it? Do these findings sound correct?

If it comes down to it gloworm do a fixed price repair

Am I getting this right? Your engineer changed the pump but it didn't cure the problem, so they put the old one back in, then the PCB & NTC'S were changed and it didn't cure it so they put the old ones back in. Sound like they have no idea how to mend a boiler & they are just throwing new parts at it hoping that one of them will do the trick. Any engineer worth their salts would check and test the parts to determine if it is defective or not before changing it. I would change your engineer and ask for a full strip down service, descale and hex clean also checking the flue for a partial blockage & a flue integrity test. Then you can say for definate if you need a new boiler or not.

Thanks guys as I am a customer and have no idea. Yes the boiler was installed 8 years ago and has been serviced every year since - the sound is very intermittent and everytime somebody has been out in the past they have not been able to reproduce the problem.

OK thanks so when they say the main heat ex needs changing is this something that can be done relatively easily? What would be a ball park cost?

Yes normally around 300 for the fixed price repair other than them replacing the whole boiler (part wise) everything should be covered and have a warrenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm condensing boiler noise issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock