Search the forum,

Discuss Glow worm space saver constantly heating hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrispee

I have what looks like a very old Glow worm spacesaver in my flat (first time buyer) and have suddenly noticed despite not switching the hot water on for weeks the tank stays hot. When i look at the boiler i have noticed the flame is constantly lit, despite turning the hot water tank thermostat down (was only at 50 anyway) it has what looks to be a 3 way valve, but i dont know if this is the issue, would appreciate any advice as to why the gas is constantly on and likely costing me a fortune!

Much appreciated!

Likely that one of the controls on the system is on the fritz. Best to get an engineer out who should be able to sort it fairly painlessly. Don't turn the hot water cylinder stat down as this will result in legionnaires when the constant heating issue is resolved. My suggestion would be the three port valve, one of the micro switches are likely stuck and as such is constantly calling for heat

Last edited:
Ok thanks, should i be concerned that it's constantly on and keepinhg the tank hot at the moment? The 3 way valve is set to the "open" postition, though may not be working properly either.

Thanks

Well your concerns are that the water maybe getting to a temp in excess of what the cylinder stat says. In addition whilst the boiler is firing you'll be paying for it

You haven't left the immersion heater on and been looking through the sight glass at the pilot flame have you ?

To my untrained eye the immersion heater switch is definitely in the off position..unless its wired the wrong way round. I havent had it switched on since i moved in. I assume it wound sound like a kettle element when keeping the water warm and the hot water tank never seems to be making a noise like that.

Not always noisy no !

if you turn boiler stat off does boiler flame go out ?

theres either two or four pipes above the boiler

Are any of them hot ?

I see 3 pipes above boiler, 2 are hot one is not.

Rotated dial on what i assume is boiler thermostat all the way round to zero and flame did not go out (only left it here for a second or two) before rotating back to min

When you say flame do you mean the burner is on? Someone mentioned this earlier. Or is it just the pilot light?

Im not entirely sure..i think it may just be the pilot light, its only a smallish flame visible through the viewport, the boiler cant be heard unless im in the cupboard next to it so would assume it isnt the main burner

Unlikely that it's the boiler then. Might be time to get someone in

Turn hot water and heating controls off.
Run hot water for 2-3 minutes, or run a bath.
Look at electricity meter, is it whizzing round.
Then turn immersion heater switch to opposite direction.
Check electric meter, is it faster or slower.
Which ever position is slower is the off position.

Definatly think you can see pilot on boiler.

Yeah I'm eaning to it being the pilot light and my inexperience! Still not sure why the tank stays constantly hot though! Electricity meter is in a downstairs cupboard outside the flat so will try and measure if immersion is on. Thanks all for continued help

Have a look at lecy meter after you used hot water for a bath. It will spin quick if immersion is on. They have a stat so if tank is full of hot water it may have switched off.

Or flash quick if it's new.

Best to get someone pro to look in though. Sounds like you need advice from someone who's had eyes on the job

All, sorry for the late response, thanks for your contributions. I was only looking at the pilot light and reasonably sure it the immersion comes on in small amounts. Im now in the situation where the rads to the pipes get hot when i only switch the hot water on, assume this is a problem with the 3 way valve now too..time to get the experts in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow worm space saver constantly heating hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Went to a customer today their glow worm Ultracom 24 HE goes to fire up then cuts out turning the heating pump off, then does the same again before firing and running. Occasionally shows the flame is lit on display but flow temp doesn’t go much past 26. Then if you turn off and try again...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi all We have a Glow Worm combi Ultracom 38cxi boiler fitted in our house, which has been running really well for the past 10 years. Recently we have had an issue with the shower and water taps suddenly running cold water when we have the taps set to hot, the water will keep going hot and cold...
Replies
Views
A
Good morning. We have a 10 year old Ultracom which now very frequently thinks there's a demand for hot water, even though there isn't, so the boiler kicks into that mode, and sits there heating tap water that isn't going anywhere. Sometimes this happens if a cold tap has been used or the loo...
Replies
Views
Andy Don
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock