Search the forum,

Discuss Gland Nut cant be loosened or tightened in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, have a small leak from a Radiator valve so wanted to pack the gland nut. I cant loosen or tighten the gland nut, any recommendations on getting it to move?

I am thinking WD40 and/or try loosening when the heat is on, am i going down the right path with these ideas or do you have any other suggestions?

I know i should just replace valve but at present im not planning/hoping on doing that just yet.

Yep WD may help , but be careful because some old rad valves look like you can pack the gland nut , but the valve falls in bits and waters everywhere lol

Thanks for the response.
Valves are all the same in house and have managed to nip some up tight and others i have taken out and packed with no issues to the valve.
Just worried that i might break the top of the gland nut. If i were to break the top off the gland nut, would it just be close the valve and that would stop the water leaking until i replaced valve?

Just " work" the nut carefully both ways , close the valve first though

if you have repaired glands before then one drain down and replace them all wouldn't cost too much

As above , or you could try playing some heat on it then gentle pressure to shift it worth a try . kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gland Nut cant be loosened or tightened in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back...
Replies
Views
I have an underground stopcock that is leaking a lot through the gland. I have dug down three foot to access the stopcock as I also want to move the 28mm black plastic pipe two feet to the right as well as be sure what was leaking the pipes or the gland. The tap is brass with brass nuts. What is...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
Rad is leaking from TRV valve, seems to be seeping out of where the pin comes up. I tried tightening up the nut below the pin, but that didn't help. I then looked online and saw that removing the nut and packing with some plumbers tape may help, but whenever I try to remove the nut a load of...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock